WIRELESS cuts my FIOS speed by nearly 50%! :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
You know G is 54mbps right? That's about 7megabytes per second, which is the speed you're getting. Why hasn't anyone posted this yet??

because this isn't the networking forum, the OP posted in the wrong forum, so any bogus info is ok

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
Quit complaining, you speed freak! :p

Actually, maybe FiOS is reason enough to upgrade to a good Pre-N or Draft-N MIMO wireless setup--you can get kits that include the MIMO router and adapter (not sure if its USB or CardBus/ExpressCard.)

Pre-N for the nguyen!

Originally posted by: InlineFive

Please don't do this. :( Draft-N is a channel hog and makes life even more miserable for the rest of us.

Massachusetts isn't any where close to Minnesota... N-spec signal is good :)... but not that good.

Originally posted by: InlineFive
802.11g is more than fast enough for his purposes. I expect that he simply has crappy antennas or there is too much interference in his house. And lastly, keep in mind that it is wireless. It's going to suffer compared to wire, that's just how life is.

So by your logic, the IEEE committee responsible for the N-spec should just disband, cease and desist? We should all just give up on any further world progress, since the slackers are all destined to suffer? Please....

I do agree with previous posters on one point, get off of the USB wireless adapter. While the USB 2.0 throughput is great (and also not your bottleneck), the signal strength and antenna propogation on that small device is less than adequate.

I use the Pre-N version of the Belkin wireless router and PCI card in my 2 story house. Awesome coverage, and I play BF2, CS:S, and other online games over wireless.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Jack Ryan
Dude, seriously try this. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

(The optimizer)

Set it for optimal settings, save to registry, reboot, report back here.

Wow this is rediculous. There's now no noticible "lag" when you first start loading a website... that's all I was really worried about in the first place.

Speeds increased to: 10929/1687. I'm impressed ;). I'll see what I can do to maximize it.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
1. Use a wire
2. use a wire
3. use a wire
4. use a wire

I figured out that wireless KILLs bandwidth LONG ago. Just don't use it unless there is a need to be wireless. A desktop computer can always be wired.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Your price for "1/2 speed of 15/2" is still cheaper than my 1.5mb/896k.

WAAAAHHHHH! - Artie Lange

Oh, and go wired.