Wired Xbox 360 controller $32 shipped at Newegg

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by M0oG0oGaiPan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. M0oG0oGaiPan

M0oG0oGaiPan Diamond Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16874103205

Was looking for a second controller and this just came back in stock a few hours ago on newegg. $31.99 shipped. Works well for PC games.

The next best price is about $33 + tax for a used controller at GameStop. However, no waiting for shipping either.

2. Raincity

Raincity Diamond Member

In for one thanks. I needed one for the new acquired games from the current steam sale.

3. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Nice price. The wireless version, which I prefer for my steam games, is currently $38 at amazon or $40 at Newegg, which isn't too bad either.

EDIT: those may be 360 ONLY versions...careful before you buy as I'm not certain they work with the USB receiver that comes with some versions of the wireless 360 controllers that are designed for use with windows.

#3 cytoSiN, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

In for one, thanks. I preferably would have wanted to pay a little less for a receiver as I already have a wireless controller with my 360. But, Microsoft doesn't make official ones any more and the 3rd party ones on the egg and amazon are reported to be woefully unreliable and pure junk. Best to just cut out the middle man and plug the thing directly into the machine for my PC gaming needs I suppose.

5. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Not sure what you're referring to, but the wireless controllers I linked above come with official, wired MS receivers for only a few bucks more than the wired controllers. I use mine all the time and love it.

EDIT: See Kaido's post below...I'm probably using the one he linked, not the ones linked above.

#5 cytoSiN, Jan 4, 2013
  6. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

Sophitia's talking about the USB adapter for Windows. They used to make a standalone USB to Xbox 360 wireless adapter that would talk to your computer and let you use the 360 controller as a wireless PC gaming device. It was called the "Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows" and came in white: (it's out of production now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_accessories#Wireless_Gaming_Receiver

Sophitia - they include the receiver with the "360 Controller for Windows" model now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...x=1&isremote=0

I believe the bundled receiver still supports up to 4 controllers, but you can't buy an official USB adapter for Windows on its own anymore - you must buy it with a "Windows version" controller, or buy a standalone third-party one.

#6 Kaido, Jan 4, 2013
  7. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Ah, thanks for clarifying Kaido. I don't own a 360 so I'm not familiar with using a 360 controller with windows. It also probably means the ones I linked above won't work with Windows? Just in case, edited that post.

8. Kaido

Basically they all work with Windows (or Mac). The wired ones have a standard USB plug, so they work natively. The wireless ones require a USB receiver. All of the wireless 360 controllers work (whether labelled for Windows or not - the Windows one just have the USB receiver included), you just need that wireless USB receiver dongle to talk to the computer - the 360 has that piece built-in. The weird thing is, it's on like a 6-foot cord, even though it gets really good range...I've been messing with one of those 4" x 4" Intel NUC mini-computers and the cord bundle is about as big as the computer is :D

9. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

Yeah, it would have been preferable to just get an official microsoft receiver by it's own for $10-15.
    But if I absolutely have to buy a whole other controller anyway, I might better do it for $32 with this deal than go the $45-50 route for a wireless controller/receiver bundle. It will work for my PC gaming needs just the same.

10. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Question: Can the same wireless controller be linked up to both Xbox 360 as well as PC? That is, can I use the same controller without having to re-pair it every time? Just shut off the Xbox 360, turn on the PC (with USB receiver) and start using it?

11. Kaido

Dunno, but I'd imagine not...I had to press the sync button to get my wireless 360 controller to talk to the Windows USB wireless receiver, which basically just emulates the wireless receiver in the 360. So it'd be like having two 360 consoles in the same room - once you're paired, you're paired so you don't accidentally start controller the other console.

In theory ;)

12. chimaxi83

chimaxi83 Diamond Member

Yeah, for me, it had to be re-paired each time. I have 4 wireless controllers, so I just keep one for PC only, the other 3 for the 360.