Wired/wireless repeater setup questions (DDwrt)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ivwshane, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ivwshane

ivwshane Lifer

Here is what I'm trying to do:

My main router services my wired network and my wireless network down stairs. I have a secondary router that I want to service my wireless clients upstairs.

I have a hard wired connection into the secondary router and I just need it to be an access point using the same SSID and password as the primary router so that moving from downstairs to upstairs is seamless as far as a wireless connection goes.
    I'm trying to avoid the bandwidth reduction you would normally get if you simply repeat the signal (since half of the bandwidth is receiving and the other half is transmitting).

So how do I need to set this up on the secondary router using DD wrt?

I thought setting it up as a repeating bridge would work but if I turn off wireless on the primary router there isn't any wifi to be found.

I have the secondary router plugged into a switch using the routers LAN ports.

2. ivwshane

ivwshane Lifer

I think I got it. Instead of repeater bridge mode I just put it in AP mode and set the wifi settings to the same as the primary.

It works but if this is not the correct way to do it please let me know.

3. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

That is correct.

4. MusicMax

MusicMax Junior Member

AP mode is right!

You answered your own question in less than 15 minutes....

Why didn't you simply direct connect the two routers as opposed to using a switch in the middle?

I am running DD-Wrt as well on one router and it works great as a repeater. I'm now considering taking advantage of the VPN options that are offered.

5. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Second Router should work as an AP with a switch.

Both Wireless same SSID and WPA2 encryption.

One Wireless transmit on Ch 1 and the other on 11.

In general - Using Access Points or Wireless Cable/DSL Routers as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:

6. JETninja

JETninja Senior member

I'm trying to do the same thing. Just got wired setup working in my new home. (cable modem > dlink 860 feeding 8 ports around the house).

Now I need to add wireless, hoping I can figure out how to setup the new Buffalo wireless router that's on its way into acting as a AP. It does have dd-wrt if that helps. Very much a newb in all this, just been running simple wireless networks the past 10 years..

7. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

It does not matter DD-WRT or any other firmware the priciples are the same for all Routers.

:cool: