wired LAN w/ separate wireless connections

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Please bear with me, I know just enough about networking to be dangerous to myself and others :p

I have three computers in my lab/office: two desktop workstation (one running ubuntu only, one that dual boots ubuntu and windows 8.1), and a laptop (also running Ubuntu). All three are connected to WiFi, but since they're all in close proximity, they all have GigE ports, and I have a spare router, I was thinking about connecting all three of them to the LAN ports of the router to have a fast connection for file transfers between the machines, while still allowing them to access the internet over WiFi.

How would I go about doing this? Is it as easy as disabling WiFi on the router and connecting all of the devices to the to the router's LAN ports?

Feb 25, 2011
It should work. As long as the computers in question have IPs assigned to their network ports that are on a different subnet from the WiFi network, it should be fine. (routing table will handle it.)

avos

Jan 21, 2013
In the DHCP setup for the wired router make sure that it is handing out a different subnet than the wireless. Also remove the gateway address. That way windows wont try to use the router as a gateway to the internet. They will only use it to talk to devices on the same subnet.