Wired fine, wireless Limited but strong signal

sprtfan

Nov 17, 2003
I'd been using a Linksys E2000 for a few years with no problem. I had a E2500 set up as an access point that worked fine for over a year as well. A few days ago all of my wireless devices said that they were connected, but limited and I couldn't access the internet from them. I removed the E2500 from the network since that was the one pretty much all the devices connected though and then connected though the E2000. Things seemed to work and then I added a TP-Link repeaters to extend the signal. Worked for about 10 mins and then the limited message came back. I removed the TP-Link repeater and still had limited connection with the Linksys E2000.
I have unplugged/reset the E2000. I have tried standing right next to it. I removed all security and left it open to see if I could connect and nothing worked. I replaced it with a old WRT160NL that I thought should be good and had the same results. Sometimes devices would work for small periods of time then stop. I ran ipconfig on tablets and everything looks ok. If I remove the connection and add it back then run ipconfig again, sometimes it will not have a gateway and will assign itself a 169.x.x.x ip address. I remove and add again it will go back to having a valid IP address and correct gateway and DNS.

Sorry for long post. Thanks for any help

sprtfan

Nov 17, 2003
Just noticed on my phone that can't load a website, the connection just says Secure instead of Limited and my email messages are still coming in. So it must have some internet connection. (This phone doesn't have cellular service. Just use like MP3 player) Would this point to a DNS problem? Thanks

Just my tried my windows tablet and it says will not connect. Fire tablet says Authentication Failed.

Last edited:

sprtfan

Nov 17, 2003
Ok, I think the old router I switched in to test also had some problems. I'm back using the original one. When I run the diagnostic on my windows tablet it just keeps telling me that there is a problem with access point and I should reset it and try again. When I do ipconfig, Media disconnected instead of the gateway, ip address, ect... info

I guess there is probably something wrong with the router and I should get a new one? I would have thought the problems I'm seeing would have effected the wired and wireless connections just not the wireless. If someone could let me know if this could be the case, let me know. I'd rather not order a new router and end up with the same problem. Thanks

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Seems like your devices are having trouble getting a DHCP assigned IP, hence why you are getting the APIPA address (169.xx). I'd look further in depth at your DHCP address allocation. Should be able to assign what IP range you want for your devices... Also ensure all devices have the same security protocol enabled across your network. However, since you can connect and gain a valid IP while wired, it makes me wonder if there's an issue with a wireless driver?

Are other computers experiencing the same issue? (If so, it's probably not driver or PC related)

Last edited:

sprtfan

Nov 17, 2003
Seems like your devices are having trouble getting a DHCP assigned IP, hence why you are getting the APIPA address (169.xx). I'd look further in depth at your DHCP address allocation. Should be able to assign what IP range you want for your devices... Also ensure all devices have the same security protocol enabled across your network. However, since you can connect and gain a valid IP while wired, it makes me wonder if there's an issue with a wireless driver?

Are other computers experiencing the same issue? (If so, it's probably not driver or PC related)

It seemed like it should be a driver issue to me at first but all of my wireless devices were having trouble. I found another router that I knew should be good and the problem persisted. At that point I started moving things off the network and figured out the problem was being caused by my network cannon printer. If I unplugged it, everything worked great. Soon as I plugged it in, wireless would stop working again. Not sure why it worked, but I'm happy its fixed. Thanks for the help.