Wiping Mechanical Hard Drives

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have a couple of mechanical hard drives laying around that I don't use. Normally I'd drill a couple of holes through them and get rid of them. If I used a magnet, how strong would it have to be to ensure the data was wiped without hooking the drive up and looking?
TIA

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
You need a magnet...
BjciGP9CIAAaNDw.jpg

You can look up plenty of videos on youtube that deal with that, basically you need a magnet that could take off your fingers to destroy a hdd.

Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I've also tested the magnet wiping data using an industrial demag unit for >30 minutes.

Hard drive - No effect at all.
Floppy disk - No effect at all.

neither lost a 1 or a 0.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Huh? I can erase a floppy disk with just about any random permanent magnet. HDD, not so much, maybe if in direct contact with the platter.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
How about baking in the oven? Just remove the PCBs to avoid the melted goo.
Would require at least 600 'F to reach the Curie point. I mean, if you're going to destroy/remove the controller/interface board, is that not a sufficient barrier for just about any effort to recover the data short of someone who doesn't have a curious amount of free time and money on their hands to either replace the controller/electronics or remove the platters to install into a data recovery device/unit? What could he have on there that anyone would feel is worth such undertakings, nuclear secrets?

Jul 27, 2020
if you're going to destroy/remove the controller/interface board, is that not a sufficient barrier
Yeah. Destroying the PCB works too. I just suggested the oven in case he really has some cat pics on there he doesn't want the world to see :D Drilling, to me at least, seems more effort than just unscrewing the PCB off the HDD. But of course if someone enjoys that activity...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You could wipe them with 0's or random numbers a few times, and then give them away.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Would require at least 600 'F to reach the Curie point. I mean, if you're going to destroy/remove the controller/interface board, is that not a sufficient barrier for just about any effort to recover the data short of someone who doesn't have a curious amount of free time and money on their hands to either replace the controller/electronics or remove the platters to install into a data recovery device/unit? What could he have on there that anyone would feel is worth such undertakings, nuclear secrets?
Data recovery companies keep a archive of boards for just that reason, having to repair a disk where the board has burned that is.
Shouldn't be an issue for most people, just saying it exists.