Wipeout HD Fury -- now with Ads!!

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
EDIT: Woohoo -- ads removed! All my bitching paid off. No doubt about: I single-handedly forced sony's hand

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my -- I am really upset,
Tonight I was playing the single player campaign mode and suddenly a State Farm insurance ad appears during loading of a track. Then all of the sudden every few loading screens are the same stupid ad.

This is INCREDIBLY annoying for me especially because I have an SSD in my ps3
Loading a track took no more than 4 seconds but now I have to wait for the ad to download and finish -- for a total of 15 seconds.

I really don't believe I was ever informed of this happening therefore I will call sony and ask for a refund. I refuse to have ads in my games.

Sounds like the begining of a beautiful trend...

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Yeah, I've been seeing that ad for the last week. I'm not completely against an ad being shown during a load screen... that's almost better than seeing the same tip for the 100th time... but I am 100% against load times being extended to allow the ad to finish. I don't even have an SSD and the extended load time is noticable. The progress bar gets right to the end and then pauses for a few seconds until the ad finishes and then the round starts instantly. The round should start regardless of the state of the ad.

Industrial

Jan 9, 2009
One should be add supported if it's free, but if I paid for this game, HELL NO do I want to see ads, and to have it extend my load times? ffkk that shtt.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Damn and I was thinking of getting this too. Wipeout HD is awesome.

I will say that the Fury expansion is fantastic. Wipeout HD goes from awesome to fucking awesome. Although the ad thing is a bit of a disappointment, I would still recommend the expansion.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I'm one of the few who couldn't give a rat's ass about ads so long as it works within the context of the game (e.g., billboards in sports and racing games).

But a State Farm ad in Wipeout? Really?! I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Even the Red Bull ads from older WipeOut games seemed to fit better than this.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I find it humorous that there is an ad for insurance in a game that's all about reckless driving and trying to blow up your opponent.

I however do not find it at all humorous that there are ads in my game...

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha
I find it humorous that there is an ad for insurance in a game that's all about reckless driving and trying to blow up your opponent.

OMG you are so right -- the irony!

Glad to see it was removed -- if for a time.
Probably they'll pick on a more defenseless community -- some game that mostly kids play.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: gersson
Originally posted by: Golgatha

OMG you are so right -- the irony!

Glad to see it was removed -- if for a time.
Probably they'll pick on a more defenseless community -- some game that mostly kids play.

Fortunately for gamers in general, their core audience is shifting and will continue to shift towards a middle-aged male demographic, with enough sense (hopefully) and voting dollars to prevent companies from walking all over us. Now if credit card companies will only get with the 21st century and let us file charge backs for digital purchases, we'll have some real recourse.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
You know, I just read another article about the ads in Wipeout HD. How many of us here have State Farm insurance?

I have two cars and a house with them. I think I'll at least write my agent about this.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
At least SONY listens to its customers. But the MS users willingly took their ads in stride. MS users need to either get off their knees and complain or get stronger knee-pads.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
At least SONY listens to its customers. But the MS users willingly took their ads in stride. MS users need to either get off their knees and complain or get stronger knee-pads.

:roll: The MS ads aren't even in the games. They are limited to one menu in the Dash. They don't distract from the experience, you can avoid them altogether, etc.

And you can bet that if an ad showed up in a game loading screen that extended loading times, all sorts of hell would be raised from 360 owners.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy

:roll: The MS ads aren't even in the games. They are limited to one menu in the Dash. They don't distract from the experience, you can avoid them altogether, etc.

And you can bet that if an showed up in a game loading screen that extended loading times, all sorts of hell would be raised from 360 owners.

Maybe Sony SHOULD pay attention to what MS is doing and add ads to the XMB. It wouldn't bother me, and they could use the extra money to make PSN better.

I don't know who ever thought ads that extend game load time were a good idea. Ads don't generally bother me - I don't mind in-game ads when they're done in a way that makes sense (i.e. billboards on an in-game highway). This would annoy me though.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy

And you can bet that if an ad showed up in a game loading screen that extended loading times, all sorts of hell would be raised from 360 owners.

That MS ad was a trojan horse.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Maybe Sony SHOULD pay attention to what MS is doing and add ads to the XMB. It wouldn't bother me, and they could use the extra money to make PSN better.

I don't know who ever thought ads that extend game load time were a good idea. Ads don't generally bother me - I don't mind in-game ads when they're done in a way that makes sense (i.e. billboards on an in-game highway). This would annoy me though.

Not just no, but fuck no. I like the XMB because of its speed and simplicity, I don't want ads fucking that up. The ads on the 360 dash may not be intrusive, but there's no denying that the dash is cluttered, confusing, and slow. How much do the ads add to that? Not sure, but I'd rather not find out with the XMB. It's fine as is.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The slowness on the 360 Dash seems (to me at least) be caused by the 360 pulling gamertag data down from Live. The initial load-up of the ads and what not after sign-up is fairly quick. But then when you go to the My Xbox row and it starts pulling down your gamertag data, it loads those slow.