WinXP won't boot, how to recover w/o reinstall the whole thing...

CP

Oct 12, 1999
I think my WinXP Pro was corrupted due to inproper shut down. Now my system won't boot at all. I know reinstall the OS will bring it back definitely, but it gonna be really time consuming so what is the best way to recover my system?

Thanks

silky

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
All you need to do is set your computer in the CMOS to boot from the CDROM and then insert your XP Pro CD and use the repair option.

CP

Oct 12, 1999
Ya I did that. The first repair option gives me nothing except a console (some sort of DOS prompt) and it expects I know all the command to fix it. Of course I don't, nor do I have the permission to change directry. Where can I learn the command to repair?

Second time, I bypass the first repair option and choose the second repair option. It repaired the window. But it seems to me that it reinstalled the whole thing. I waited for more than an hours for the whole process. So, is there any better way to do this?

Now, my Windows says paging file is too small even though I allocated two 512-1024MB on separate partition and on another HDD for it. When I look at system properties, current paging file is zero. I think my XP is going nut now... Any idea?

DeschutesCore

Jul 20, 2002
The second repair option is a restorative setup that retains the registry and tries to hold your settings for services / components. It doesn't alway get it all right, but it should normally take the same amount of time as a fresh install and retains your apps. Sometimes it'll revert to the default skins and stuff, but otherwise it works most of the time.

I've seen a ton of things cause page file error reports. First time it was RAM, another, a simple repair install worked.

DC

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
On the first repair option just enter FIXBOOT at the prompt and hit enter.
When you get it going again install the recovery console and you won't have this problem again.

CP

Oct 12, 1999
This is my 3rd time reinstalling my WinXP Pro (not from scratch though) but I still have the "no paging file" problem. Please help.