WinXP - remembering closed folder on reboot

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
I have "Tools/Folder Options/View/Restore previous folder windows at login" enabled in WinXP so when I boot up, the last folders that were open when I previously shut down, will open. But I have one folder that keeps opening that I did not leave open when I previously shut down. Where is the info on what folders to open up stored?

BmXStuD

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
i had that but i got a new motherboard b/c of other things and its gone heh. fresh install. i dunno how to fix it.

RVN

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
"For some unknown reason, this database may however become corrupted from time to time (this is not a new problem in Windows)."

It might be worth a try.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
But this database is for each folder's view settings, not what folders are to be opened upon boot up.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
There's no folders that got accidently dragged into the Startup folder on the Start Menu.

There's been a couple of cases of that happening that i've seen around here!

If not, sorry, free bump

Confused

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Confused
There's no folders that got accidently dragged into the Startup folder on the Start Menu.

There's been a couple of cases of that happening that i've seen around here!

Nope, that's not the case. Gotta be a simple reason for this. Anyone know?

AngelOfDeath

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
Have you looked in msconfig to see if that particular folder has been added in there for some reason?. It's a wild shoot but a suggestion still :p

Have you tried to disable the feature were it reopens unclosed folders and then boot. After boot enable the feature and reboot?...

kursplat

Golden Member
May 2, 2000
"For some unknown reason, this database may however become corrupted from time to time (this is not a new problem in Windows)."
But this database is for each folder's view settings, not what folders are to be opened upon boot up.
so try it anyway. seems to me that it's "view setting" is to open everytime you boot.
good luck

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Is there any way to find that particular folder's settings so I don't have to delete them all?

Jolt2

Jan 8, 2001
I seen this type of problem before. It was after an stall of Rage3d tweaker program. The folder that I ran the setup for that program from would keep opening when Windows booted up. I checked the startup folder and the other tings that were suggested above. Nothing could be found. What one person told me to do was rename or remove that folder. When I did this, it was fixed. You have watch out what folder it is because if it is a Windows operating folder, your system may not start - you have been warned. In the case I had, it was just a folder that I ran a setup program from.

I have also read that this can happen from a bad install of a program. With the machine I was working on, I un-installed the tweaker program and the folder would keep openning at startup. I ran the setup for the tweaker program again and after that the same folder would keep opening at bootup. The only thing that stopped it was renaming the folder that I found.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
The folder that keeps opening for me is C:\Program Files\Common. I think it's used by WinXP, so I can't rename it. I should have said before what folder it was. Does that give any ideas?
Also, I don't have an ATI card or any video tweakers installed.