WinXP or Win98 best for O/Cing

Aradune

Oct 14, 2002
I was wondering what microsoft OS is best for overclocking, if there is one. Has anyone tried both and noticed a difference on overclocking? I saw someone mention that SP1 for XP reduced his OCability. That's what got me wondering about this. Thanks.

localhost

Oct 20, 2002
I was wondering what microsoft OS is best for overclocking

I don't think the OS affects overclocking. However, in terms of stability, Windows XP does offer much stability since it's based on Windows 2000/NT architecture, which means longer uptime and stability. Still, overclocking depends on your system setup (physical setup). Nothing much to do with OS though. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well if you read the rest of the thread I think you are talking about you would see about a dozen ppl including me who had no issues going to sp1 and keeping current ocing.....

Some will say win98 which has been around longer and thus has a majority of the bugs and kinks worked out would be better...in my case it did not, but I am running FE version...

I could only oc to 2.46ghz with win98 no matter the vcore and then it would load but become lethargic...loaded up winxp on partition and I am at 2.74ghz stable and gcan even run at 2.8ghz with 1.73v but wont pass prime95 testing...

I also think winxp checks more things at startuo and thus may be less liklely to let you load up windows on a flaky oc level...generally if you load winxp into the desktop it is far more stable then just getting win98 to load..This is my experience running both oses as a dual bootup and have seen how they react side by side for quite awhile now...