WinXP OEM Activation as of 3-05

moosey

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
I read that for users of Windows XP OEM versions, you won't be allowed to activate it online as of March 2005. Instead, you'll have to call in to Microsoft to activate it.

1. Why are they doing this?... Does this really affect or mean anything calling in rather than doing it online?
2. If I upgrade parts of my machine, will I still be able to use the OEM OS?
3. If I buy OEM with, say, an IDE cable, and use that IDE cable on a new machine a year or so later, can I use the same OEM copy of Windows?
4. Is it less of a hassel and worth it just to buy retail for about $100 more? (home verson)

Thanks

AristoV300

Golden Member
May 29, 2004
Yeah I had an OEM copy and as long as the part remains in the machine you can upgrade as much as you want, I know I have. They just asked what part I purchased with it. Never heard about this new you are mentioning, got a link? I made a ghost image, prior to loading anything else so I don't worry about activations;), that I have a corporate serial now:)

moosey

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
I just heard someone mention that on newegg I think.
How does the ghost image thing work?
Thanks

tiap

Mar 22, 2001
Just activated win xppro sp2 oem yesterday on a machine. It took all of about 1/10 of a second.
What you are referring to is only the oem versions used by the biggies like gateway, dell. hp etc.
It seems that people were able to get the os from a new dell and upgrading an older dell machine with it and naturally ms didn't like it. Apparently it only looked for the dell bios.
Any oem bought through online with hardware isn't affected by this new requirement.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Thread on subject

Our neighborhood Microsoft representative, Stash, clarifies this new policy in the thread. Long story short: OEM copies purchased from Newegg are not affected.