WinXP: Lite-On CDRW disappears every time I restart?

showoff0450

Mar 30, 2001
I just upgraded from Me to XP... and everything is great. EXCEPT this:

I have to go through "add new hardware" wizard every time I want to use my CDRW drive. It doesn't show up by default in my computer, nor in device manager... but when I add new hardware, it tells me it's already installed and it's working properly. Only after I do this does it show up in my computer.

How can I solve this?

Thanks,
Chris

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
try disconnecting the drive, boot up, shut down, reconnect the drive & reboot to see if that sorts matters!
what burning software & version number are you using?

showoff0450

Mar 30, 2001
I'm using Nero... 5.5 i believe
I'm gonna install the official XP-version of Nero... i'll see if that works

sad

Jun 15, 2000
showoff0450, did you install Microsoft's cdr patch for WinXP? If you have, uninstall it, then reinstall. It should work afterwords.

ryandw

Sep 25, 2000
I had a similar problem before. All I had to do was take my cds out of the drives before rebooting. If there was a cd in the drive, it didn't show up on restart.

Punker429

Dec 29, 2001
XP is very picky about the drivers, make sure you use signed drivers and the lastest version of your burning software. I had a problem when I did the upgrade from ME to XP with my cd burner I had to do a clean install of XP for it to work.

wjsulliv

May 29, 2001
Could somebody identify the qXXXXXX number of the "cd burner update" so that I can uninstall it and reinstall it.

Thanks