WinXP - Cannot create a file association

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Muse, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Muse

Muse Lifer

This is the weirdest. Never had this problem before. I've used the application for years, installed it today in my new WinXP install. This is a utility that came with my Samsung V3 Digimax digicam called Digimax Viewer. The executable is:

<drive>\Program Files\Samsung Digimax Viewer 2.0\STImgBrowser.exe

The program is installed, the installation placed a shortcut on my desktop, it opens from there OK. I want it to be my default program for opening JPG files. I right click a JPG file and go Open With, check the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." I navigate to the executable, and go Open, but it doesn't open the executable, doesn't change the file association.

The STImgBrowser.exe application has a companion program which is opened by clicking a button. That program has editing characteristics, e.g. cropping, enhancing brightness/contrast, red eye, etc. That program is available for association, but the viewing program, STImgBrowser.exe is not. I have uninstalled both the programs and reinstalled several times in accordance with the instructions presented by the installation program, including reboots. I don't know what to try next. The workaround is to open the image viewing program and navigate to a file via the File menu, but I'd like to just be able to double click a JPG and have it opened by the program, like it used to do. Please make a suggestion, thank you. :|

#1 Muse, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

that program must have interface by accepting argument of <name of file>:
    executable <name of file>
    and that program simply does not.

3. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

did you try using the file association function under Folder Options?

start button -> control panel -> Folder Options -> click File Types tab

try the file associations there.

4. Muse

Muse Lifer

Yes, that doesn't work either. Right now the associated file is the sister utility the image editing program and I want to use the image viewing program as the default launching application. No matter how I try I can't change it. I think it may be a fouled up registry setting. The reason I'm thinking this is this:

I'm going to search for the name of the image editing program and see if I can tweak a registry setting. Thing is, an uninstall/reinstall is not fixing the program. I never had this problem before, I've done the installation quite a few times.

If I change the default program to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, it changes. If I then go to change it to the STIimagebrowser.exe application it changes the default program to the editing program, "Photosuite III Executable". IOW, I point it to one program but it chooses the sister program instead. I have to think it's a registry setting that went bad. It may be because I didn't install initially from the CD but from a copy of the CD I have on a HD. I guess the installation process it was supposed to go through went awry. I'll search the registry for "Photosuite"

:confused:

#4 Muse, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Muse

Muse Lifer

If I do an Open With and choose the STIimagebrowser.exe application instead of it opening I'm returned to the Open With dialog offering 1/2 dozen programs or Browse. It's bewildering. I saw nothing in the registry when I searched on "Photosuite"... probably over 200 hits, but nothing that seemed out of line. :confused:

6. Muse

Muse Lifer

No, it used to be my default JPG launch program. In fact when the install goes correctly it becomes the default program.

7. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

is another program taking over that file association?

perhaps its a permissions issue?

8. postmortemIA

why not remove file type from folder options, and start over?

9. Muse

Muse Lifer

How do you mean? Every file extension is in the folder options. I tried changing it between different applications for .jpg, it works fine except for the one application I want to use.

Can I remove the .jpg extension and then add it back? :confused:

10. postmortemIA

Yes, that is what is "remove" button for.