Winning The War in Iraq: 1-2-04 U.S. GI Dies As Copter Shot Down in Iraq

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
It is VERY disturbing that the news forum is filled with war crap
These are very disturbing times we live in Bubba. Do you suggest that we should just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that it is not?

Of course not. But should it be headline news every time 4 people die? Especially when millions of others are dying as well in more tradgic circumstances? As I said, I'm not unsympatheic, but this is rediculous. Looking at the top 20 most recent posts in the news forum, only ONE is even slightly positive (Charitable giving in America). Everyone complains about how the world sucks and everyone is evil and whatnot, but there ARE GOOD THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THIS WORLD! Yes, it's TRUE! Why doesn't anyone ever post any of that stuff? Because you're all so wrapped up in hate that you ignore anything that is even slightly good. I'm sick of all this hatred. I'm sick of people like dmcowen674 and others using this war and people dying to promote their own political views. It sickens me. You people sicken me.

A little study will tell you that you were already sick. External events just evoke it in us. The world and everybody in it is actually perfect except for similar illusions.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
VLAD,
Dressed in sweat shirt and blue jeans with pink highlights in her hair,

Oops.. meant CAD... :)

So the hippie crowd is now moved from Haight and Ashbury to Downtown DesMoines... but, pink... sounds.. commie to me.. :D
Dean is better than Bush at being what Bush would like us to think Bush is... but, doubt I'd waste time in Iowa after the primary season..

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Moonster,
A little study will tell you that you were already sick. External events just evoke it in us. The world and everybody in it is actually perfect except for similar illusions

Everyone sees everyone as a potential threat to their health, wealth, and happiness as well as the means to attain and/or maintain it. The terrorists just want to illustrate that a few determined folks infected with the appropriate virus can wreck havoc on the most secure of hosts.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Dave did'nt I suggest you to put away the dvorak keyboard? Your mistyping again. But it's true 10 US soldiers have been killed since christmas.

Here

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
Dave did'nt I suggest you to put away the dvorak keyboard? Your mistyping again. But it's true 10 US soldiers have been killed since christmas.

Here

Looks like may need to re-name the Thread "Losing The War in Iraq".

2 More U.S. Soldiers killed last night :(

12-29-2003 Bombs Kill 2 U.S. Soldiers in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Roadside bombs killed two U.S. soldiers and two Iraqi children in central Iraq, a day after strikes in the holy city of Karbala targeted America's coalition partners and underscored how the insurgency remains strong despite Saddam Hussein's capture.

The Karbala attacks ? multiple, coordinated strikes involving mortars, machine guns and a car bomb ? claimed six more lives Sunday, raising the death toll to 19.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Here

Why not? The rest of your titles here are misinformed alarmist BS - why not this one?

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Here

Why not? The rest of your titles here are misinformed alarmist BS - why not this one?

CkG

You go right on ahead of believing your "brainwasher" and his loyalist's that they ended the War when he landed on the Aircraft Carrier. His Dad had the Legacy of the "Read My Lips, No New Taxes" while Jr has a bunch including hotdogging on a Carrier with the Cart well ahead of the Horse.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Continuing the Winning the War in Iraq:

1-2-2004 U.S. GI Dies As Copter Shot Down in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents shot down a U.S. helicopter west of Baghdad on Friday, killing one soldier, and U.S. forces said they came under fire with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades as they guarded the burning aircraft.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
No disrespect to our Heroes and so sorry for the family in the loss :(

I have just switched from Negative of 2003 in that the Economy was not being handled well to it's being run great as the Govt, reports, Rush, Hannity and AT experts show as well as the War was not for Oil and WMD must have been found but I just missed that report while seeing millions of Americans find highest and plentiful jobs available than ever before. So anyway with this report changing the Title to "Winning the War in Iraq" as it is a good thing we went there and kicked Saddam's butt. Can't wait to get the next Dictator, has the next one been announced yet?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It looks like this thread could use some positive news, since the general mood is very negative. Do note that this Yahoo article is older than the one Dave posted, yet he convenientely or purposely choose not to post it. Be your own judge.

U.S. Commander: Iraqis Turning in Weapons

By JIM KRANE, Associated Press Writer

MOSUL, Iraq - A dozen former leaders of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s Baath Party have handed in weapons caches in northern Iraq (news - web sites) to curry favor with the U.S. military and claim a role in a new Iraqi leadership, the commander of the Army's 101st Airborne Division said.

"They're coming to us, saying they want to be part of the new Iraq," Maj. Gen. David H. Petraeus said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press. "It has slowly sunk in that Saddam isn't coming back."

Separately, the 101st Airborne has paid more than $20,000 in rewards in recent weeks to a black marketeer who has handed in 300 shoulder-fired missiles.

The Baathists who have recently begun to cooperate with the division held positions in the second, third and fourth tiers of the Baath Party, top-level officials banned by the U.S.-led administration from any leadership role in Iraq's government and public institutions. The men have handed over more than 270 AK-47 semiautomatic rifles, as well as rocket-propelled grenade launchers and other weapons.

On Monday, some of the men ? whose names have not yet been made public ? will publicly renounce their participation in the Baath Party at a regional headquarters of the 101st Airborne's 1st Battalion in Talafar, south of Mosul.

Petraeus said he doubted the former leaders had taken a direct role in aiding the five to 10 anti-U.S. guerrilla cells operating in the region, and he characterized their decision to cooperate with the U.S. military as an opportunistic move to regain stature.

"They were on the fence. I'm not sure whether they were aiding and abetting," Petraeus said. "They were opportunists before and they're still opportunists. They're chameleons."

The series of weapons hand-ins began Dec. 19 in Talafar when, over three days, a third-tier Baathist gave up 65 AK-47s, a rocket-propelled grenade launcher and more than a dozen grenade rounds, according to a division data sheet. None of the men requested a reward, Petraeus said.

By Dec. 28, the 101st's 1st Battalion Combat Team had received 267 AK-47s, along with ammunition magazines, a pair of grenade launchers with 15 rounds as well as 15 hand grenades.

On Dec. 31, a second-tier Baath Party member ? among the highest-ranking officials in the region from Saddam's former government, handed over seven AK-47s and 14 magazines to the 101st's 3rd Brigade.

The division's 2nd and 3rd battalions have been seeking contacts with other former regime leaders in northern Iraq, trying to convince them to cooperate as well, Petraeus said.

The 101st Airborne has also paid rewards of about $1,200 apiece for intact Russian-made SA-7 missiles with their launch tubes and sights to a black marketeer who has turned in 300 of the shoulder-fired missiles, said division spokesman Maj. Trey Cate.

The division pays smaller rewards for individual components.

The shoulder-launched missiles are among the most feared weapons in Iraq. They have been used to attack U.S. military helicopters and two aircraft taking off from Baghdad International Airport. Iraq's civilian airports remain closed to most commercial air traffic because of the missile threat.

This week the 101st Airborne paid the black marketeer, whose name has not been released, an overdue $22,500 for 270 of the missiles he turned in during previous weeks. When the division halted reward payments because it ran short of cash, the man ceased delivering the weapons, Petraeus said.

"He was a regular turner-inner until we stiffed him," Petraeus said during Thursday's battle update briefing, a daily meeting of the division's leadership.

The black marketeer does not say where he buys the surplus launchers in Iraq, and the division is more interested in simply getting the weapons off the open market than finding out who owned them ? and perhaps halting future reward sales, Cate said.

"It's more of a capitalist approach," Cate said. "He's not going to provide services until payment is provided."

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More Winning News:

1-3-2004 GI Killed in Attack on U.S. Base in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents hit a U.S. base in central Iraq with mortar shells, killing one American soldier and wounding two others, a U.S. military spokesman said Saturday.

Elsewhere, insurgents attacked an American tanker convoy, setting one ablaze.

An 5,000-gallon oil tanker also erupted in flames near a U.S. military base on the road to the western town of Ramadi. The military said it was in a convoy attacked with a roadside bomb, a grenade and small arms fire. Three American soldiers suffered burns and shrapnel wounds.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
You can hate the war but love the warriors

By Bo Turner

"Why did you speak at that anti-war demonstration and to that bunch of un-American protesters last Saturday in Gainesville? Don't you people understand that Saddam is dangerous and has to be stopped? I thought you were a veteran yourself. You are giving aid to our country's enemies," the person said to me.

Say what? Give me a break. A danger to whom? Us? Here in the good ole U.S. of A.?

Is Saddam's navy off our shores? Is his air force flying over our cities? Have his troops encircled our nation?

The only danger Saddam poses is to his neighbors, maybe, and they are so worried about him that they are willing to let us die for them, but they won't fight for themselves. And some even want us to pay them for the privilege.

"But," the person pressed on, "Saddam sponsors terrorism. We are in a war against terrorism. Don't you understand that?"

Well, I just hope and pray that we are more successful with the war on terror than we were with the war on poverty, the war against drugs, the war against racism, the war in Vietnam and countless other "wars" we have gotten ourselves involved in.

The thing that puzzles me is the disconnect President Bush suffers with regard to most of the other world leaders. Yet on second thought, it may not be so puzzling at all.

President Bush professes to be a born-again Christian conservative. In reality, he is a Christian fundamentalist who views the world divided into opposing camps: good versus evil, for us or against us, black and white, correct and incorrect. This "either/or" thinking leaves no room for "both/and" thinking. There is no room for compromise. There has to be a winner and a loser.

Christian fundamentalists believe the Bible to be literal truth and is a blueprint for the future, especially the Book of Revelation. The world is in the "end time" and the cataclysmic Battle of Armageddon will be the decisive turning point when the forces of good versus evil will meet on the battlefield in the Middle East. Naturally the "good" are us and the "evil" is them.

Christian fundamentalists honestly believe the Bible has foretold these events and there is nothing we can do to alter the outcome. We are mere helpless spectators. This fatalistic and frightful theology is held by millions of people, including the president of the United States.

Yes, that Saturday I was one of a number of people who came to Gainesville to show our desire for peace. We stood together in solidarity with millions of others around the world who oppose a war with Iraq. We believe there is no need for this war and that our government has and continues to lie to the American people about the need for this war.

Our rally was against the war, and not against our fighting men and women. We believe one can hate war but love the American warrior. We feel it is our patriotic duty to oppose killing our soldiers and the innocent people in Iraq. We feel the brutal dictatorship of Saddam can be defeated without slaughtering innocent people.

I personally believe the real danger to our Constitution is an "axis of evil" in our own government. Our nation is becoming an "Orwellian 1984" nightmare. Ben Franklin once said that "to trade freedom for security will result in losing both."

The silent majority in our nation needs to rise up and reclaim our republic from the fundamentalist mindset that holds it hostage. Shalom!