Wings of Prey any good?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Picked it up on Steam deals today for like $7 with the Luftwaffe DLC. So, did I waste my lunch money?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Wings of prey is a mixed bag. It's polished, which is a good thing, but on the other hand its quite arcady which in my opinion lessens the experience for me. The 5 year old kid in my household loves it though once he got the hang of flying with the joystick. It has scripted missions and the maps are fairly small. It's fun for a bit. I bought it at release for $40 or whatever I ended up paying for it and to me, it was a waste of money at that price. But I wanted to support the flight sim genre, as I thought games like Falcon4 and IL2/FB were marvelous.

It's basically IL2/FB with better graphics but a more arcade gameplay experience.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wings of prey is a mixed bag. It's polished, which is a good thing, but on the other hand its quite arcady which in my opinion lessens the experience for me. The 5 year old kid in my household loves it though once he got the hang of flying with the joystick. It has scripted missions and the maps are fairly small. It's fun for a bit. I bought it at release for $40 or whatever I ended up paying for it and to me, it was a waste of money at that price. But I wanted to support the flight sim genre, as I thought games like Falcon4 and IL2/FB were marvelous.

It's basically IL2/FB with better graphics but a more arcade gameplay experience.

You can change between arcade, simulator, and realistic.

Also be aware it doesnt matter how you buy it, disc or Steam, you HAVE to install the YuPlay program. Its far worse than Steam and GFWL combined. It breaks a lot and if it forgets you own Wings of Prey you have to re-register. You only get 4 and then you are fucked.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Yeah I just noticed that got installed and run when I launched the game. I'm so happy to have another online game network client.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
You can change between arcade, simulator, and realistic.

I'm well aware it has different settings, however, those settings are meaningless when the missions are designed for arcade mode.

There are missions later on which require you to blow up 20 tanks or so. There is no way you can blow up 20 tanks with 2 bombs, and 30 seconds of ammo on realistic mode. The game assumes 1) You have unlimited ammo, and/or 2) Unlimited replays which replenish your ammo supply.

So if you play realistic/simulator mode, you have to kill youself when you run out of ammo and use your replay to finish the mission. That is not realistic.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I have it on console. They made it out to be the sequel to IL-2, which it isn't. Linear mission structure, short, far fewer aircraft to choose from. It's not a bad game if you can pick it up cheap.