Wine & Seti

cakin

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2001
How do you start seti under wine?

I downloaded the Wine-rpm. I am trying to use Redhat which is really confusing to me.

I have it on a tyan dual and I have installed the smp kernel

Thanks...Carl

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Just look out the aliens don't get drunk. :beer:
rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: PeterN
Just look out the aliens don't get drunk. :beer:
rolleye.gif

You mean by drinking too much :wine: ? :)

Can't help on the Linux there, cakin, but I see you're advancing nicely up the TeAm ranking.

CyGoR

Platinum Member
Jun 23, 2001
But what is your question? How to install Wine or get seti running on your RH system?
If you have wine already installed, you really should use the standard windows CLI seti client..

cakin

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2001
I have wine installed I think? At least it appeared to run OK from the RPM. The only thing that bothered me was the RPM tool asked for the root priveleges to run it. I am trying to work thru the configuration document but there is a lot of stuff I dont have. I cant find the documentation and ./tools directories so I havent been able to copy over config files

I used http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-20030408-1rh8winehq.athlon.rpm?download

I also placed a windows copy of seti on seti on a floppy, mounted it and copied it into /home/dad/seti1

How do I start wine in a window so I can enter my user name the first time for seti?

HayHauler

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Yea, I would like to know also, Cakin. I have a dual PIII 933 machine,
running RedHat8.0. I have heard that the Win CLI running under Wine
on a Linux box is the fastest Cruncher!

:cool:

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Now where is Poof when we need her?

/me puts my communicator helmet on "Calling Poof, Calling Poof, Wine and Seti emergency!" ;)

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazee

Now where is Poof when we need her?

/me puts my communicator helmet on "Calling Poof, Calling Poof, Wine and Seti emergency!" ;)

I was about to suggest contacting Poof as she use to run SETI under Wine. She said it ran faster under Wine than the native Linux version. :confused:

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Yep, poof is the wine and seti expert.

In the meantime, to test if wine is installed ok, type "wine -v"
you can also try to run solitaire (which a lot of people suggest to see if wine is working) "wine path/to/sol.exe"
if winesetup is installed, you should run that because the default config file almost always needs to be modified. "man wine.conf"

hopefully some or all of the above is helpful.

HayHauler

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Sciencewhiz, do I just type "wine -v" from the command prompt, or from a command prompt inside X-Windows?
does the "wine -v" start the Wine interface?

P.S. Why somedays we have Quick Reply at the bottom, and somedays we don't? !
Ads still on the left, huh?

:cool:

mgpaulus

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2000
Well, I don't run seti, but I do run Folding@Home under wine.

I run the command line version, so I have my stuff configured to run at startup (using /etc/rc2.d/....), and I have it configured to
run as root.

Here's what I had to do....

(This is EXTREMELY quick and dirty, and YMMV).

Once I got a good wine configuration for a user, I did an su to root. If root does not have a ~/.wine directory, I copied the working user's directory to
root. Then I did a
'chown -R root:root .wine' to make everything owned by root. That gives root access to wine.
Then, go into .wine, and edit config.
Change any lines that have a reference to the user to be /root

Change the line that identifies the driver from
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv" to
"GraphicsDriver" = "ttydrv" This allows you to run console apps w/o needing the X session.

Now you should be able to run your seti stuff.
nice -19 wine -- setiathome -proxy <yoursetiqueue: port>