WIndows XP won't shut all the way down

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
What would cause Windows XP to only shut down to a screen where is says "it's safe to turn your computer off"? Then I have to hold in the power button for 5 seconds to shut the thing off.
This reminds me of the old AT power supply days but this power supply is an ATX and I've tried 2 different ones with the same result.

Thanks, MAc

robisc

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Also look at the Power options in control panel, and try to turn it either on or off, that usually works as well.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
I looked in the BIOS and power management was disabled but changing it to ACPI? or APM didn't help there is a APM/ACPI setting I'll try that

robisc

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
You check those power options in control panel yet? That has always worked for me.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
In control panel, ENable advanced power management seemed to fix the problem, thanks.

In the BIOS, whichich is better APM or ACPI or APM/ACPI or disabled. Those are the choices

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
If ACPI was diabled during the OS installation, windows is installed as a standard pc. You can not just change the ACPI setting in the bios. The OS has to be installed as an ACPI PC (it can be checked in the device manager). There're ways to get around this to change the PC type (i.e., from standard to ACPI) w/o the reinstallation, though.