Windows XP won't continue install past restart

bojingo

Mar 4, 2005
I just put together a new system with the following specs but am having problems getting the Win XP Pro CD to install the OS.

3000 Athlon 64
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
1GB ram (duel channel)
160 GB SATA Drive
GeForce 6600 GT

Anyway, I put the Windows XP Pro installation disc in the CD drive and it detects it and runs install just fine. I created the partition (only 130 GB was detected, but as I understand it that is a limitation of XP until I get SP1), format it with NTFS and then select to install on the newly created partition. Standard stuff.

However, after installing some setup files the installer restarts saying that setup will continue (with the 15 second count down timer to restart). But, after the computer reboots it just starts the process over again asking me to select the drive (now partioned) onto which to install windows. I have never seen this before and have no idea how to force windows to continue with the install? I've tried changing boot orders, but really I am at a loss.

Thanks.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
Does your cd auto-boot? Or does it give you the "press a key to boot from cd"? dont press a key when it reboots.

when it gives you the reboot countdown remove the cd and let it reboot. after it reaches the next stage of installing put the cd back in.

BTW. I would find a way to slipstream sp2 to your install cd first. its a pain to mess with it later.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Go in to bios and make sure you have your SATA drive set as bootable..most likely you don't, so it just goes strait back to booting from the CD..