Windows XP suddenly hanging at the Windows loading screen

Blue Lander

Jul 27, 2005
Last night I brought my computer over to my girlfriend's apartment because her laptop was sent in for repairs and she needed to do some work.

I have never had any problems with my computer, which was mostly built by me. However, after setting everything up at my girlfriend's apartment, once I power up, the computer passes the POST, but during the XP screen where the progress meter moves from left to right, the computer seems to hang. The meter actually moves a few times, then it slows right down, and then it stops.

Could this have something to do with the power outlet? That's about the only difference I can think of. It is a pretty old building, and the apartment does blow fuses for simple things such as using a kettle and a hair dryer at the same time (in different outlets).

(On a side note, my girlfriend's laptop has been sent in for repair because it sometimes shuts itself off, and sometimes it will hang before even reaching the XP logo screen, which could be a related issue, I'd imagine)

OritionX

Jul 26, 2005
Are the outlets at your gf's grounded? If not your machine will not be grounded and very suseptible. even using a two prong to three prong adapter is not a good idea. Even though you can run a wire to a pipe or something grounded. Does the problem happen when you take it back to your place?

Blue Lander

Jul 27, 2005
Come to think about it, the "Grounded" light on my surge protector was not lit up, although it doesn't always light up even when it is grounded.

I haven't taken it back to my place yet, but I probably will tonight.

OritionX

Jul 26, 2005
Its just a thought especially on newer machines needing more power. If you have a surge protector on a 2 pronged outlet you are NOT protecting your computer against a surge. just an FYI Have seen a lot of people fry machines that way.

Blue Lander

Jul 27, 2005
It is a 3-pronged outlet, but I'm not sure if the third prong is grounded, or just goes nowhere...