Windows XP Professional x64 Edition: Drivers, Free Trials, and Availability

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
INTRODUCTION:

As of today (April 25th, 2005), Microsoft has formally released the retail version of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition"(aka WinXP 64bit edition/AMD64 edition/x86-64 edition) to consumers, so here is an updated version of the original WindowsXP 64bit Edition: Drivers, Release Candidates, and Availability, Part 2... thread(kudos to CaptnKirk) with updated information relevant to the final release.

First and foremost, this version of Windows (obviously) requires that you have some sort of processor that supports the AMD64 spec, which at this time is the Athlon64, AthlonFX, "Nocona" Xeon, the Pentium 4 5x1 series, the Pentium 4 6xx series, the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73ghz, and the Pentium Extreme Edition(i.e. the dual-core EE chips). Additional official requirements include 256MB RAM, 1.5GB available HD space, Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card, CD-ROM or DVD drive, and a Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.

Of important note, with the official launch Microsoft has effectively ended the customer preview program, replacing it with a trial program, so if you are/were using a previous release candidate, you are advised to wipe it when you install one of the final versions of XP64.

Before you jump in, please check out Microsoft's XP64 support site for more information on XP64. It offers some insightful notes on what features are known not to work, and lists some known application incompatibilities and other useful information on determining if XP64 will work for you.

Trying Out XP64

For those of you who are not sure if XP64 is right for you, Microsoft is offering a free trial of the new operating system. The trial comes in two forms: a downloadable version, and a CD that has a shipping & handling charge for to cover delivering it. At this time, it's reccomended you get the downloadable version, both to save on the $10 or so S&H charge on the CD version, and because it currently takes 4 to 6 weeks to actually recieve the CD versus 6-12 hours to recieve the download email. The trial version is time locked to 120 days, and as a fully functional copy of XP64 requires activation within 14 days. To get the trial version, please visit Microsoft's XP64 trial website.

Trading-In For XP64

The trade-in program ended as of August 1st. If you want to get a permanent copy of XP64, you must now buy a full OEM copy.

Purchasing XP64

The following online vendors are now selling OEM copies of XP64(there will be no retail copies of it)
Monarch Computer
DLJ Systems
Newegg
Planet AMD64(a community site)

MANUFACTURER and COMPANY SUPPORT:

XP64 ships with out-of-the-box support for most hardware, but due to the continuing development of many drivers, you will probably need to download some drivers for your setup.

Important: Microsoft has changed the driver INF file convention for XP64 as of RC1 and beyond, so not all early drivers made for the beta releases will work. If you encounter this, there should be newer drivers available.

AMD WEBSITE
The big list of driver support. It's not necessarily up to date, but it can help point you in the right place.

MATROX

nVidia
There are newer versions of the graphics drivers floating around than what Nvidia has listed. You may want to get those instead.

ATI
The latest drivers are now fully in sync with 32bit releases and are out of the beta stage. On a related note, ATI Tool is the only overclocking tool so far for ATI GPUs that has official 64bit support.

Creative Labs(drivers are still in a non-final state are are time-bombed)

VIA Arena

EXPERIMENTAL & USER MADE DRIVERS

Realtek RTL8139 PCI - Fast Ethernet

Promise FastTrack 378/TX4000/S150 TX (BETA)

3Com 3c940 Driver(found on many K8T800 motherboards, including Abit KV8 series)

Many device manufacturers have some sort of 64bit driver available, so please visit their site if it isn't listed here or a shipping driver did not come with Windows

RANDOM SUPPORT SITES:

PLANETAMD64 Their online driver database is perhaps the best resource out there for tracking down rare/unusual drivers.
WindowsServerx64

SOFTWARE WITH KNOWN ISSUES:

All 16bit applications - The AMD64bit design does not support any sort of 16bit mode when running in 64bit mode, so all 16bit applications(and those that use 16bit code in 32bit applications) are broken. Besides, if you need to run a 16bit application, you probably need a 286, not a Pentium 4.;)

Cygwin - Cygwin tries to use the 64bit CMD console, which doesn't get along with Cygwin very well. Cygwin will work if you force it to use the 32bit console, however.

Web browsing - The are reports of some sites(including BTEfnet.com) locking up computers when rendering a specific image with a 32bit browser, this has not been tracked down to a specific hardware configuration however. Should you encounter this, using the included 64bit version of IE will bypass the problem. Also, there is not a 64bit version of Flash(yet), so for the most part, you will need to use a 32bit browser in the mean time. Windows update is also still 32bit limited, so you will have to use IE32 to access it.

Java - While there is a 64bit version of Java, there is not a 64bit version of the SWT library yet(used by the Eclipse line of programs and Azureus), so should you need to use these programs, you will need to install the 32bit version of Java instead.

PERFORMANCE & IMPRESSIONS:

So far there have been no major complaints about XP64, RC2 was a solid release and this has not changed for the final version. Performance and resource usage is in-line with the 32bit version, and except for the default wallpaper and startup screen that identifies this version of Windows as x64, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference(think of it as the Pepsi Challenge). There are a handful of reports stating that overclocked machines that are stable in 32bit mode weren't stable in 64bit mode, indicating that 64bit mode may be harder on processors and/or certain parts of the processor weren't stable at the overclocked speed but aren't active in 32bit mode, but this has yet to be confirmed. Still, there are no major outstanding issues with the OS that should keep anyone even remotely curious away at this point. With XP64 finally out, there should hopefully be some more driver and 64bit app releases shortly.

Also, we have an informative thread if you're curious about performance specifics under XP64.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
mIRC - There seems to be some 16bit code in the program. It can be forced to work by wiping out the "hosts" line from mirc.ini, but as you'll quickly see, don't open any sort of settings window after you've connected to a server.
What's "mIRC"? :confused:

:D:evil::D

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mechBgon
mIRC - There seems to be some 16bit code in the program. It can be forced to work by wiping out the "hosts" line from mirc.ini, but as you'll quickly see, don't open any sort of settings window after you've connected to a server.

Ooh, Mech, one of these days: bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!:p

gibno1

Mar 6, 2005
can I download the system and burn it and just hold it until I am ready to install??

Thanks, Gib

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: gibno1
can I download the system and burn it and just hold it until I am ready to install??

Thanks, Gib
MS is not offering any downloads of XP64 at this time(besides their close MSDN partners, anyhow).

gibno1

Mar 6, 2005
I'm not sure if I understand that. Is microsoft going offer downloads tomorrow?
Or is microsoft not going to offer any downloads unless I am a member of MSDN.

Just cruising around tonight I have noticed a lot of people saying they were refused.
One guy said you need to have your product number(Rt click on my computer) instead
of your COA number. Is that correct?

Thanks, Gib

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: gibno1
I'm not sure if I understand that. Is microsoft going offer downloads tomorrow?
Or is microsoft not going to offer any downloads unless I am a member of MSDN.

Just cruising around tonight I have noticed a lot of people saying they were refused.
One guy said you need to have your product number(Rt click on my computer) instead
of your COA number. Is that correct?

Thanks, Gib
Microsoft has not said they will offer downloads, and it seems very likely they never will. As for the product number/CoA thing, it's officially either-or, you just need one of them. The product number would certainly be the easier thing to use.

jac0b84

Mar 13, 2005
I can't believe I just got a version of Windows for $12.

That just made my day. I have 2 versions of 64 bit linux in the mail as well. I know the drivers and software are lagging but I am exited.

gibno1

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for your help Virge. I went ahead and ordered it tonight
didn't seem to be any problem. Apparently they will send it by
mail. Maybe in a month. I don't plan on using it until I see a good
reason anyway. By the way $12.99 in Bay City,Tx.

Thanks again, Gib

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: mechBgon

Ooh, Mech, one of these days: bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!:p
Hehe! :D

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
All right, so let's talk drivers for a minute, specifically TV tuner drivers. As of yesterday I couldn't find one tuner with 64bit drivers and software, including my own Leadtek TV2000 Expert. I can't remember how long it took for hardware manufacturers to migrate to 2000 back in the day, but I do remember XP having much broader support when it debuted. Is the shift to 64bit making things more difficult for the driver writers or are they just lax?

Basically I'm loath to resign my XP Pro for x64 at this point in time. I do have several XP Home licenses I could use in the time I wait for x64 drivers to hit the street. But what if? I'm just afraid that companies like Leadtek are going to fly the bird to us in regards to x64 drivers for pre-existing multimedia hardware (like TV tuners). How likely is that to happen?

Thoughts?

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jac0b84

That just made my day. I have 2 versions of 64 bit linux in the mail as well. I know the drivers and software are lagging but I am exited.
$12 eh? I'm assuming you got the trial version, in which case keep in mind the 120 day limit.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Megatomic
All right, so let's talk drivers for a minute, specifically TV tuner drivers. As of yesterday I couldn't find one tuner with 64bit drivers and software, including my own Leadtek TV2000 Expert. I can't remember how long it took for hardware manufacturers to migrate to 2000 back in the day, but I do remember XP having much broader support when it debuted. Is the shift to 64bit making things more difficult for the driver writers or are they just lax?

Basically I'm loath to resign my XP Pro for x64 at this point in time. I do have several XP Home licenses I could use in the time I wait for x64 drivers to hit the street. But what if? I'm just afraid that companies like Leadtek are going to fly the bird to us in regards to x64 drivers for pre-existing multimedia hardware (like TV tuners). How likely is that to happen?

Thoughts?
I'd say it's very likely. For new/current products they might eventually release drivers, but for anything predating say the TV2000 Deluxe(and maybe the Deluxe itself) I wouldn't expect drivers. TV tuner makers are usually at the mercy of Conexant anyhow.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Well, maybe I can take heart then. My card is the newest non-hardware MPEG encoding tuner Leadtek makes, newer than the Deluxe. I'm tempted to ditch it and get a newer card like an ATI Theater 550, but with my current CPU and memory my system can handle the MPEG encoding when I capture. I'd love to do this in x64.

chubbymidget

Apr 17, 2002
Any one else having a problem entering a product key? All of my purchased XP Pro licenses don't fit there form fills. Which say product ID and not product key

Also nothing I see on the MS site talks about "do it yourselfers" just prepurchased boxes.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chubbymidget
Any one else having a problem entering a product key? All of my purchased XP Pro licenses don't fit there form fills. Which say product ID and not product key

Also nothing I see on the MS site talks about "do it yourselfers" just prepurchased boxes.
Your two options are using the number from your Certificate of Authority, or using your product ID from System Properties on a running machine. The product/installation key will not work. As for do it yourselfers, I quote the following

If you built your PC yourself or have purchased it through a system builder, you can make the exchange through the link to the right.

Kn1v3s

Apr 26, 2005

$12 eh? I'm assuming you got the trial version, in which case keep in mind the 120 day limit.

As I understand from MS it costs $12 for S&H. It doesn't say whether it is the trial or not. But it does say upgrade.

" Cost for shipping and handling of upgrade is $12.00 USD for domestic shipments and $22.00 USD for International shipments plus any applicable taxes."

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone else having a problem getting an order to go through? I enter all the info along with the product ID from System Properties, hit submit, and get this:
Sorry but we are unable to validate the information you have provided. Please review your Certificate of Authenticity or Product Identification Number and try again at a later time.
I've done it a few times and always get the same results. The only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem is that my current copy of XP is an "upgrade" version (not the full version), but I don't see any info on the MS site that indicates that would disqualify me from getting the update.

I've emailed MS support, but so far no reply.

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Kn1v3s

As I understand from MS it costs $12 for S&H. It doesn't say whether it is the trial or not. But it does say upgrade.

" Cost for shipping and handling of upgrade is $12.00 USD for domestic shipments and $22.00 USD for International shipments plus any applicable taxes."

No that is NOT the trial version.... Shipping ($12.00 in this case) is the only cost to Windows XP Professional X64 when you trade in your 32-bit XP License.

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
So Windows XP Home users have to settle for the trial version? :/

No, for the time being, XP Home users have to settle for EITHER the Trail verson, or purchasing the OEM version of XP Professional X64 through a dealer (there are several online sites that will let you purchase it with another piece of hardware such as a $3.00 mousepad). I believe that it is going for about $150.00 plus cost of hardware plus shipping. As of now, I believe that the exchange program only works for XP Professional, not Home (although I suppose that it is possible that they will extend it to XP Home, I do not think this is very likely).

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WebDude
Anyone else having a problem getting an order to go through? I enter all the info along with the product ID from System Properties, hit submit, and get this:
Sorry but we are unable to validate the information you have provided. Please review your Certificate of Authenticity or Product Identification Number and try again at a later time.
I've done it a few times and always get the same results. The only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem is that my current copy of XP is an "upgrade" version (not the full version), but I don't see any info on the MS site that indicates that would disqualify me from getting the update.

I've emailed MS support, but so far no reply.
I just tried to do a trade-in and I'm having a similar problem. For me, after I place all the order information, I'm getting "We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again. If you continue to experience difficulty please email customer service at ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com", which is about as generic as an error can be, though I doubt it's the license at issue since it's for a couple month old Dell(and hence would be a typical OEM license).

In your situation, keep in mind that MS technically requires that you purchased your "system" after March 31, 2003, and that it came with "Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) preinstalled". Try fudging the date already if you aren't, and if it still isn't accepting, then it may just be possible that MS is not taking in trades on upgrades; the upgrade edition is not listed among the specific OS's MS is taking in, but they don't bother to make a distinction between retail and OEM either.

Just for reference's sake, a full OEM license has "OEM" as the second character group in the product ID, anything else(such as "640" for volume licenses) would be a different product type.