Windows xp no wireless network connection

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
Hello everyone!

So my friend just reinstalled his Windows XP, and he wants to connect to wireless, but there are no "Wireless network connection", or any wireless thing which lets me to connect to wireless.

There is "Wireless setup wizard" but it's for creating new wireless connection, not connecting to existing as far as I understand.

So problem is with a driver I guess, but we tried installing required wireless drivers and nothing appears. I have 4 driver files, one of them being setup, so I guess all I have to do is run setup, but no new software appeared.

Anyone can help me with this issue?

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
You need to go to the computer manufacturers website and download the proper drivers. Windows XP is rather ancient and doesn't have all the drivers you need, especially for newer stuff. It came out in 2003, eleven freaking years ago, which is ancient for computers, so obviously it is not a plug and play install.

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
You need to go to the computer manufacturers website and download the proper drivers. Windows XP is rather ancient and doesn't have all the drivers you need, especially for newer stuff. It came out in 2003, eleven freaking years ago, which is ancient for computers, so obviously it is not a plug and play install.

First of all, that laptop was mine several years ago, and I reinstalled windows XP several times, and installed new drivers. Problem is that now HP does not support WinXP and I cannot download drivers from their website. The ones I download come from also trusted driver source, but apparently does not work.

Since laptop has only 1Gb or ram, it would be quite stupid to install Vista. I guess Linux is a possibility, but for someone who never used it, it can be quite a hassle.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you are installing a driver but the wireless adapter still doesn't work after the installation, either:

a) You have the wrong driver.
b) The wireless adapter has a hardware switch/button somewhere on the laptop and it is disabled.
c) The wireless adapter doesn't work any more.

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
If you are installing a driver but the wireless adapter still doesn't work after the installation, either:

a) You have the wrong driver.
b) The wireless adapter has a hardware switch/button somewhere on the laptop and it is disabled.
c) The wireless adapter doesn't work any more.

You are right sir, but there is only 2 available drivers for this HP laptop, and both says for this exact model. Hardware button is confirmed enabled. And wireless adapter was working just before Windows XP reinstall.

By the way, my last question was, is there a specific location I need to install drivers, or it should be ok default one?

Edit: On a side note, if I install Windows 7, and HP does not have network drivers for Win7, can I connect to wireless without wireless driver in Windows 7?

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
What is the model number of the laptop? And the model number of the wireless adapter?

edit: To answer your other questions, no, it doesn't matter where you save the files during the installation. That's just a place for the installer to store the individual files that it extracts from the compressed file you downloaded. Windows will put the drivers where it needs them to be during the installation process. And if Windows 7 has built-in drivers for the wireless adapter, then it will work immediately. If not, you will need to install the drivers.

Last edited:

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
What is the model number of the laptop? And the model number of the wireless adapter?

Hp presario v3607tu. I don't know the model of wireless adapter, there is nothing about wireless in device manager.

edit: alright, gotcha.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The wireless adapter doesn't show up in Device Manager under "Network Adapters" or under "Other Devices"? If not, that's a pretty good sign that the adapter is disabled (I'd check the hardware switch again) or it somehow got physically disconnected inside the laptop (a bit harder to check) or it has failed.

It looks like that laptop model shipped with three different wireless adapter options. So it could be a Broadcom, Intel, or rebranded Verizon 3G adapter. It's probably not the 3G, so try these options to see if either one works:

Broadcom WLAN
Intel Pro Wireless

Although if the adapter is truly not being detected in the Device Manager, no drivers are going to work since there's no hardware to attach the drivers to..

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
The wireless adapter doesn't show up in Device Manager under "Network Adapters" or under "Other Devices"? If not, that's a pretty good sign that the adapter is disabled (I'd check the hardware switch again) or it somehow got physically disconnected inside the laptop (a bit harder to check) or it has failed.

It looks like that laptop model shipped with three different wireless adapter options. So it could be a Broadcom, Intel, or rebranded Verizon 3G adapter. It's probably not the 3G, so try these options to see if either one works:

Broadcom WLAN
Intel Pro Wireless

Although if the adapter is truly not being detected in the Device Manager, no drivers are going to work since there's no hardware to attach the drivers to..

Wireless adapter does not show anywhere in Device manager. There is no such thing at all, we checked everything many times, and under Network adapters there is only 1 option for LAN adapter. Hardware button is definitely enabled, but for some reason it's stuck, and cannot be disabled, hard to say if that's the issue.

Thanks for you links sir, will test those!

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This one finally worked: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-55000-1

The only one out of all the ones I tried. Thank you very much.

If this solution worked because it finally installed the correct drivers, it probably also installed the Intel Wireless software Manger on top of the Drivers.

Use it as long as it works. But be on the alert because sooner or later it might clash with the Windows default Wireless system.

:cool:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
If this solution worked because it finally installed the correct drivers, it probably also installed the Intel Wireless software Manger on top of the Drivers.

Use it as long as it works. But be on the alert because sooner or later it might clash with the Windows default Wireless system.

I absolutely hate all the third party wifi managers.

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012

Thanks for alert, but I guess that's the only option now. It's quite old laptop, of 5 years by the way.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Thanks for alert, but I guess that's the only option now. It's quite old laptop, of 5 years by the way.

5 years isn't too bad for a good laptop. Glad you got it working.

I have a IBM Thinkpad T60 still going strong for my 11 year old. Updated it with a better video chipset, Wireless N, and faster CPU/Memory/HDD.

He loves YouTube, Minecraft and his Reflex Math/Homework on it.