Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade - $49.99 after rebate

govikes

Jul 9, 2001
Amazon.com has the upgrade version of Windows XP Home Edition for $99.99 with a $40.00 mail-in rebate. Use a $10 off $75 coupon to bring it to $89.99 shipped to your door, then with the rebate it ends up $49.99. Not too bad...I've tracked a few on *bay and they're selling for $80+.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
This isn't that bad at all.

You can also get XP Pro for $149.99 after $50 rebate.

krazykilroy

Aug 14, 2001
cool. I got pro-OEM from a pricewatch store with my processors for 125

and bought home ed. at a marketpro show. for 99

both full versions. not as good, but good enough

SlickRick

Nov 17, 2001
What the difference between O.E.M. & retail in the "full" version
of WinXP Home & Pro edition . Is there any advantage to paying
more for the retail version ? ... ... ... Rick

govikes

Jul 9, 2001
From what I understand, the OEM version doesn't have all the packaging and manuals that the retail version does. It's basically just the disk and whatever validation/activation codes you need, but installs & works the same as the retail.

huzefa1

Aug 3, 2001

<< What the difference between O.E.M. & retail in the "full" version
more for the retail version ? ... ... ... Rick
>>

I think documentation and tech support is not available with the OEM version. That's all I can think of.

dlaw

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2001
<<<< <I>What the difference between O.E.M. & retail in the "full" version
more for the retail version ? ... ... ... Rick</I> >>

I think documentation and tech support is not available with the OEM version. That's all I can think of. >>

Well, full version doesn't come with documetation anyway...and tech support, I guess that's what you have to pay extra for, or they may provide install instructions....but no actually technical support.

There's no box for OEM, but the packing is not as nice. And OEM version should come with a computer....or when you buy a computer, then you get the OEM version of Windows. So it is not quite legal to buy only an OEM version of Windows.

One piece of advice, if you are going to network your computers at home, get pro, forget home edition. That will save your some time.

Bill00

Oct 18, 2001
<One piece of advice, if you are going to network your computers at home, get pro, forget home edition. That will save your some time.>

I agree. I got the XP Pro full version last fall on the deal through MSFT that so many took advantage of and in trying to help others who have the Home version I just keep running into things that Pro has that Windows doesn't. IMO, definitely worth the extra bucks to get Pro, but unless you can get a real deal, I see no point in buying the full version rather than the upgrade. Everyone has a Win 98/Me/whatever disk laying around to get the upgrade version to work.

In a related matter, don't know how many are aware of it, but 120 days after activation, a given copy XP can be "reinstalled" (YOU decide whether on the same machine or a different one) and activated online just like it was the initial install...

OFF TOPIC: Does anyone else find that ridiculous, fire-engine-red flashing WINNER ad at the bottom of each page as irritating as I do? I EXPECT banner ads to help pay the bills, but I put THAT one in the same category as popups/unders! JMNSHO, of course... ;)

govikes

Jul 9, 2001
dlaw,
It is legal to buy the OEM version otherwise I don't think Amazon.com would be advertising/selling it. I notice on *bay that those buyers selling OEM software have to "bundle it" with some hardware device to compy with the MS OEM selling rules, so they're including some worthless hardware item in the sale (ie, 32MB RAM chip, two-button mouse, functioning or nonfunctioning boards, etc).

Bill00,
I, too, got the XP Pro retail software for that UNBELIEVABLE price during last year's rollout, but what networking concerns should I have if I put the Home version on a 2nd computer? Is it possible, but just more difficult, or not possible at all?

BTW, YES!! That flashing red banner is VERY ANNOYING!!! I can't wait to get to the next webpage just to get rid of that dam* thing!

JJordan

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
I have Home on one computer and Pro on another and all there was to networking them was PLUG IN THE CABLE. I have had ZERO problems with either one and don't notice Pro bering any better or worse than than Home. I was told by a friend (like that lead in) that problems networking with any version of XP come from using XP's setup -- if you do it the old fashion way, i.e., just share the drive or folder in network settings and not run their network setup, it is better. I think either way it is easy with XP Home or Pro.

GregMal

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!
I've been waiting since XP came out for a deal. Until today the best I've seen for
a retail upgrade is $10 off.
$49.99 after rebate, no shipping, no sales tax.............Thanks again!
Greg

BigEdMuustaffa

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2002
Could we please hear more about the activation thingee and the 120 day, etc.....? Thanks....Also more Pro vs Home info.....AND the big question....I heard there is a legacy program or ability for XP to run games. How does this work ? Is it like the old PIFs in previous windows versions? Some say you have to reboot it in thiis mode and in order to run legacy software the new features of windows won't be as robust. Thoughts???

:confused:

Chuck2

Jan 15, 2001
For all those upset about the flashing red banner. I agree, but I pulled my taskbar up far enough to cover it and the rest of the page is still visible.