Windows XP disconnect physical disk, retain access to directory structure?

rhatsaruck

Oct 20, 2005
All the IDE connections on my computer are used: 3 for HD, 1 for IDE. I'd like to disconnect one disk and put in a new one. However I'd like to be able to use Windows Explorer to browse the directory structure of the disconnected disk. Does 3rd party software exist to do this?

I know I could setup a file server to achieve this (and more) but it's overkill for my needs. I really only need to view the directory structure of the disconnected hard drive. If I really need the data I'm willing to physically reconnect that drive.

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Hi,

Unlikely that you would be able to get a drive to refresh and share any information on it if it isn't connected to the mobo/power.
You would need a very powerful and friendly god for that. (try off topic).

You could use an external enclosure to shove your drive into and connect up through usb/firewire/nic.
Or, you could get a pci hard drive controller (promise seem to be ok) where you could plug in some hdd internally into the card.

gwag

Feb 25, 2004
perhaps you should try some disk cataloging software, sorry I can't offer any advice on wich one but I am sure there are lots.