Windows updates downloaded but fail installation

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
I put together an old Athlon XP box for someone and installed XP home, got SP3 downloaded and installed ok but any further updates fail repeatedly trying to install them. They are downloaded (all critical, software and hardware updates) but will not install, and MS help is not productive.

Message: a problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded and installed

But they are downloaded,

I tried installing them one at a time but still continue to fail.

any ideas?

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
Create a batch file or run these commands from a cmd prompt. Then rerun Windows Updates and all will be OK.

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
Thanks AnnonUSA, I will give that a try and post back here with the result :)

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
it is working, what did that fix? What caused the downloaded updates to not install?

Thanks a bunch!

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
There seems to be a combination of things that happen after SP3 and WGA that breaks some windows update file registrations. What you did was re-register all the windows update components with windows. I carry this batch file with me all the time and have fixed countless clients systems with the exact same issue.

Glad it worked for you.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
You'd think that Microsoft would find a way to fix this issue as part of the SP3 upgrade, wouldn't you?

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
You'd think that Microsoft would find a way to fix this issue as part of the SP3 upgrade, wouldn't you?

You would think they would do something about it.

AnnonUSA thanks so much for your fix, I think I will copy and paste it to my thumbdrive for easy access myself. :)

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
I ran into same gremlin a few months ago. I couldn't believe M$ just left people to hang like that - alas - there is good and easy fix on Softpedia

Dial-a-fix 0.60.0.24

"Dial-a-fix is a collection of known fixes which addresses issues with Windows Update, Microsoft Installer, and more
Dial-a-fix is a collection of 'known fixes' that have been compiled over the past year that really knock out some serious Windows problems, all with one or two clicks. "When in doubt, check 'em all"."

http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...neous/Dial-a-fix.shtml