Windows Update not working XP SP3

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by hal2kilo, Jul 16, 2012.

1. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

When I click on windows update I get sent to a supposed Microsoft page that shows me how to do what I just did, i.e. select Windows Update. Endless loop.

Is this a malware problem?

2. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Possibly. It could also be a problem with Active-X in XP/SP3. I cannot do a Windows Update manually - but it does the automatic monthly by itself. So, my Xp/SP3 does stay up to date.

It would be good to eliminate malware as a possible problem. Run a full, deep scan.

3. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

Mine at work does the same thing. Maybe they stopped supporting it or something? I think MS did something...

4. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

I imagine deleting the windows update v6 activex control should cause it to be redownloaded and reregistered. That might fix it but I would find someone who has actually tried this first.

5. Bubbaleone

Bubbaleone Golden Member

This Microsoft Support page: How do I reset Windows Update components? offers both the Microsoft "Fixit" automated diagnostic troubleshooter, and full instructions if you prefer to manually repair the problem. I've used the manual repair to successfully fix broken Windows Update on several XP SP3 machines, after other repair methods had failed to solve the problem.

6. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

That fixed it thanks! There were 11 security updates to do.