Windows update for pirate versions of XP will stop working in June?

gshock888

Banned
Mar 28, 2003
I have 2 copies of Windows XP Professional oem that came with my computers. However I only use the Corporate versions I find off the web because its much easier to install and I actually built ghost images of it, i hardly do Windows installation anymore.

My question is anyone know if the Windows update site will ask for a valid serial, or would it simply check if you have the pirate corporate version or oem version and simply fail on you? I'd hate to reinstall my systems... you can say there's the windows xp key changer but i doubt the oem code could work for my corporate version... :(

ugopk

Jul 22, 2004
I really doubt they would do that. If they do that, they would ensure that the internet will have a nice pool of target machines to infect :)

gshock888

Banned
Mar 28, 2003
good. i read that on some tech news site

and also now i see many downloads (like anti spyware) that says theres a customer-voluntary check to see if you have genuine windows before downloading

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
Linnux here I come then.....

I have 5 pc's at home......most of them I just for screwing around on. Think I'm going to spend 100 bucks on each one? ROFL. I don't mind paying for 1 copy...but beyond that it gets ridiculsous. And then keeping track of which key went with which pc if I did have legal copies.....there is no way. That will be a nail in microsofts coffin if they pull a stunt like that.....