Question WINDOWS UPDATE: AMD SCSI Adapter 9.3.0.221 breaks AMD rigs

Nov 26, 2005
Seen I had some AMD scsi update for my rig and installed it. Do I have a scsi, no, I have an NVMe drive but what the f do I know about what Windows says I need. Took a screen shot of the update before installing it but can't get into the system now. Windows doesn't boot and my bios gets wiped out after windows crashes and says it's going to restart.

Nov 26, 2005
I have a Windows 10 USB media disc on hand. I used it to go into repair and uninstalled a '... Quality Update' and it fixed it, it seems. Gonna retrieve the screen shot of the windows update that wrecked it and post it.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
You were lucky here. As a general rule, unless you are having problems or know for sure that the driver update is needed, you should NEVER install any driver update on your system that is recommended by Windows.

Just say no to Windows driver update!

don't forget windows restore can turn back the clock as well.

If you have it turned on... Sadly, lots of folks have a tendency to turn it off.

Nov 26, 2005
I don't use restore points, but wasn't there a tool to stop a specific driver update or something? I remember I using some windows tool that disabled updating nvidia drivers and it worked. I can't find the tool

Nov 26, 2005
I didn't get so lucky. Before I could do anything, Windows Update installed the driver again before I got a chance to do a manual restore point as a backup option. Now doing a 'Quality Update' uninstall through a USB Windows media device is not fixing it.

Nov 26, 2005
sounds like you need to install the updated AMD chipset drivers from AMD.

No, I've had those since they came out.

The only solution is to wait for it to be fixed but first how do we disable windows from updating? I read this on a different thread: The setting is inside control panel > system > advanced system settings > hardware > device installation settings.

Located on page 5 of this thread, same issue:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
No, I've had those since they came out.

The only solution is to wait for it to be fixed but first how do we disable windows from updating? I read this on a different thread: The setting is inside control panel > system > advanced system settings > hardware > device installation settings.

That setting which prevents minor updates of Manufacturer's apps, used to refer to drivers specifically .Now it refers to apps and icons only; worser, even if one selects NO to the downloading of such items, windows updates has a nasty habit of returning the selection to YES . :mad:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
What is the status of the machine ? Does it post then throw an error handing off to Windows ? Do you have a backup image or disk ? Have you tried the remedies on the installation media for " Repait this machine "?

Nov 26, 2005
That driver broke it. I managed to do a quality update uninstall and that worked but Windows update immediately updated installed the driver again and broke the machine. I'm reading some huge threads about it right now.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
That driver broke it. I managed to do a quality update uninstall and that worked but Windows update immediately updated installed the driver again and broke the machine. I'm reading some huge threads about it right now.

LIke I said, that switch for device installations will not stop automatic drivers delivered through Windows Update.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Maybe one of these will help you disable windows 10 updates. I've heard jayz2cents on youtube mention the meter your connection trick. Looks like it doesn't work for Ethernet connections though.

Another link. Pausing it for a bit may do the trick if it's patched quickly.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Nov 26, 2005
LIke I said, that switch for device installations will not stop automatic drivers delivered through Windows Update.

I have not confirmed this.

The method in the second post on the reddit page works:

Credit to GlenHarland

Find your windows drive by typing C: (enter) Dir (enter) Keep trying different drive letters until you find your drive e.g D: (enter) Dir (enter) Once you found your windows drive letter (in my case it was E) Type the following Dism /Image:(your windows drive letter):\ /Get-Drivers (enter) In the list you will find a driver with Published name: oem(a number).inf original file name: rcbottom.inf classname: scsiadapter provider: advanced micro devices inc. take note of the published name. In my case it was oem2.inf Then scroll back to the bottom and type, substituting your drive letter and driver name Dism /Image:E:\ /Remove-Driver /Driver:oem2.inf (enter) Exit (enter) Then hit "exit and continue to windows 10" button To prevent the driver installing again go to windows updates and let it install the amd scsi driver again but dont reboot. go to device manager, under storage controllers double click all instances of amd raid bottom driver and select roll back driver. Tick other and type "unbootable operating system", click ok and youre done. Reboot.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

Well, if you can get it running again, at least it shouldn't come back now. If it was any other company than Microsoft pulling this crap with their products, they would be out of business by now.

Maybe one of these will help you disable windows 10 updates. I've heard jayz2cents on youtube mention the meter your connection trick. Looks like it doesn't work for Ethernet connections though.

Another link. Pausing it for a bit may do the trick if it's patched quickly.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

It does work with Ethernet connections -- there is a separate "metered connection" switch for Ethernet connections that you have to set. Once set as metered, it only downloads what Microsoft classifies as "high priority updates" as well as signature updates for Windows Defender. Otherwise, most run of the mill updates are blocked until you manually request them.

On the down side, as of last year, Microsoft appears to have begun classifying its Windows feature updates as "high priority updates" as version 20H2 began downloading across even metered connections without being requested. We'll see if it happens with the next one released (as I expect it will, given MS's seeming need to give the middle finger to its users as often as possible).

Reactions: balloonshark

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I was on a clean install of windows when this driver was installed and it also broke my machine. I was also unable to use system restore and none of my restore points would work. In the end I did another clean install disabling driver updates first thing before proceeding with restoring my software.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN