windows shutdown menu problem!!!!!!!!!!

Echelon

Jun 27, 2000
Hi,
I'm having a problem: From windows I cannot exit to MS-DOS and restart windows via shutdown, when I want to restart windows or exit to MS-DOS, my computer resets itself. What I CAN do is shutdown and restart my computer.
I don't know what I have done that has caused this problem to appear, I just formatted my computer and reinstalled win98 yesterday.
Can someone give me some suggestions on how I can solve this issue?

I have win98 first edition

thx in advance

Echelon

Jun 27, 2000
Oh come on guys...there must be someone who has had the same problem once and/or knows what's going on??

Jul 11, 2000
I have no idea, but maybe you have a via chipset or one of the newer intel chipsets... it might be possible that you need to install yourt motherboarddrivers/patches?:confused:

Echelon

Jun 27, 2000
nope...Intel 440BX chipset, thx though

So I went searching for a solution on the MS website and I found that the problem was indeed a shutdown problem confirmed by MS. But the thing is, it's a problem with Win98SE and I have the first edition. I tried and installed Win98SE and now my problem was gone! I'd say this is weird. I'm gonna uninstall it back to Win98FE and see what it does.
anyone?

Ranger361

Oct 26, 2000
I'm also having a shutdown problem with windows 98SE on a Abit Mobo, I think I know were the problem is I just don't know how to fix it. The problem I'm having is related to the SoundBlaster Live card. My system worked fine until I updated the chip INF files the other day. SB wants IRQ 5 and currently is being forced to use IRQ 7. The SB Card seems to be working, but it is causing the system not to completely shutdown. In Device Manager, PCI Steering and the video card are using IRQ 5 and I haven't been able to re-assign the IRQs. I had the same shutdown problem with a SB Live card and a Asus Mobo, I was able to fix that problem by setting the IRQ 5 Reserved to Yes in PCI/PNP Resource Exclusion list in the BIOS and enabling LPT Interrupt Sharing in the SB Emulation Device in the device manager.

I'm a newbie, I don't know if this will help you or not.