Windows Server 2012 Essentials is RTM.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
For people with MSDN, and or TecNet accounts.

Window Server 2012 Essentials RTM is available for Download.

Many of the specialty site that dealt with WHS 2011 consider the Essential as the most adequate Tech replacement to WHS 2011.

Tech. replacement? Yeah, it not a direct replacement because price wise it is on a higher category than WHS 2011.

Solution to the Domain issue here -
http://www.winsupersite.com/article...s-connecting-windows-7-8-home-versions-144442

:cool:

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's as expensive as all heck, but I'm still looking forward to it.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
finally! My new server is just begging to be turned on!!! I ran the beta and RC for months before finally turning my new server off a couple weeks ago waiting for this....

Can we expect a retail copy in stores before thanksgiving?

EDIT: Looks like November 1 for General Availability

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
finally! My new server is just begging to be turned on!!! I ran the beta and RC for months before finally turning my new server off a couple weeks ago waiting for this....

Can we expect a retail copy in stores before thanksgiving?

EDIT: Looks like November 1 for General Availability

I do not hear about exact day, but it should be early Nov.

:cool:

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
I'm very excited about this product as I'm looking to migrate from WHS v1.
Would it be possible to use a license key from Server 2012 Standard for use with Essentials? ie. essentially downgrading.

I got a key for Server 2012 Standard via MSDNAA/Dreamspark, but think that Essentials would be a better fit for a "home server" environment. Server 2012 Essentials has not yet appeared (or perhaps will not be offered) on my MSDNAA, but once it does, can I simply do an in-place validation from the RTM version to a fully licensed version using a provided key instead of having to reinstall from scratch? I'd hate to reinstall/configure a server once data has been migrated....

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I'm very excited about this product as I'm looking to migrate from WHS v1.
Would it be possible to use a license key from Server 2012 Standard for use with Essentials? ie. essentially downgrading.

I got a key for Server 2012 Standard via MSDNAA/Dreamspark, but think that Essentials would be a better fit for a "home server" environment. Server 2012 Essentials has not yet appeared (or perhaps will not be offered) on my MSDNAA, but once it does, can I simply do an in-place validation from the RTM version to a fully licensed version using a provided key instead of having to reinstall from scratch? I'd hate to reinstall/configure a server once data has been migrated....
Funny enough, in true Microsoft fashion it's actually possible in a bass-ackwards manner. You can't go from Standard to Essentials, but you can go from Essentials to Standard w/Essentials features.

After the transition, the Windows Server 2012 Essentials features remain on the server and support up to 75 users and 75 devices. If you exceed the limits, you should use the Windows Server 2012 Standard native tools to manage user accounts and devices.

Additionally, after you transition to Windows Server 2012 Standard, the Media features of Windows Server 2012 Essentials no longer work because these features are not included with Windows Server 2012 Standard. This includes the Remote Web Access Media, and the Media Settings on the Dashboard.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj247582.aspx

Basically you can upgrade from Essentials to Standard and keep most of the Essentials features (you only lose media streaming). The problem is that I believe you need to have a full copy of Essentials to start from, which of course defeats the whole purpose.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect a windows 7 pro client to WS2012E without having a password? (after bypassing the domain install of course)

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect a windows 7 pro client to WS2012E without having a password? (after bypassing the domain install of course)
I'm assuming we're talking about connecting the two for backup purposes? Then the answer is no.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
anyone find a place showing box art or pre-order for this yet?
I don't believe they're taking pre-orders, and it won't be for sale until November. In the meantime there's a fully functional 180 day trial which can easily be upgraded to a full version later on.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007

I went ahead and downloaded the 6 month evaluation to try it out and I can confirm that if you install the connect software on a win 7 Pro machine and use the registry domain bypass you aren't required to use a password on that machine, backups and restore work as well.

WS2012E will certainly be my WHS replacement. Coming from WHS2011 after having WHS v1 its nice not to micromanage my storage again, and GPT support is a must for me now so WHS2011 had to go.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Any word on what street price will be for 2012 Essentials? My NAS is currently a file server/backups repository, running Server 2003 Standard on some fairly recent, but low-powered hardware. I'd like to upgrade the NAS box to file server/media streaming/storage duty. WHS looks good but has that 4GB RAM limitation (from what I've read anyway).

2012 Essentials looks great but not if it's going to be $600+.

*edit*
On this page there's a link at the bottom for "Licensing." According to the sheet, $425. Not bad...and I assume that's the MSRP/retail price? Hopefully street price will be less.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/small-midsize-business/mid-landing.aspx

Side note: What's a TechNet subscription go for these days anyway?

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Any word on what street price will be for 2012 Essentials? My NAS is currently a file server/backups repository, running Server 2003 Standard on some fairly recent, but low-powered hardware. I'd like to upgrade the NAS box to file server/media streaming/storage duty. WHS looks good but has that 4GB RAM limitation (from what I've read anyway).

2012 Essentials looks great but not if it's going to be $600+.

*edit*
On this page there's a link at the bottom for "Licensing." According to the sheet, $425. Not bad...and I assume that's the MSRP/retail price? Hopefully street price will be less.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/small-midsize-business/mid-landing.aspx

Side note: What's a TechNet subscription go for these days anyway?

I believe WHS 2011 has an 8GB Ram limit, but certainly WS2012E is the better option going forward regardless.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
what's the advantage of this over using win 8/storage spaces for home server purposes?
i've been doing that since win8 rtm, no issues so far. i have all win7 pro machines on the network, so they backup to a spare drive in the server that isn't part of a storage space.

does server 2012 have a centralized backup solution similar to whs? if so I may look into switching. apparently a new install will automatically pick up the storage space info from the drives. so I won't have to worry about transferring / creating new spaces/pools.

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
what's the advantage of this over using win 8/storage spaces for home server purposes?
i've been doing that since win8 rtm, no issues so far. i have all win7 pro machines on the network, so they backup to a spare drive in the server that isn't part of a storage space.

does server 2012 have a centralized backup solution similar to whs? if so I may look into switching. apparently a new install will automatically pick up the storage space info from the drives. so I won't have to worry about transferring / creating new spaces/pools.

Yes it has centralized backup, Remote Web Access etc like WHS so much more versatile and powerful for home server duty then client win 8

Last edited:

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Yes it has centralized backup, Remote Web Access etc like WHS so much more versatile and powerful for home server duty then client win 8
I'd also throw in that you get both the Dashboard (the simplified WHS-like server management UI) and the Server Manager (2012's full featured management UI). Win8 doesn't have anything like that, and as a result there are some things you can't easily do on Win8 (removing a drive from a storage space comes to mind).

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'd also throw in that you get both the Dashboard (the simplified WHS-like server management UI) and the Server Manager (2012's full featured management UI). Win8 doesn't have anything like that, and as a result there are some things you can't easily do on Win8 (removing a drive from a storage space comes to mind).

:thumbsup: +1

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Got Essentials loaded up last night; took awhile on my machine. I think the fact that box only has 2GB of RAM is the culprit. While the box was thrashing around configuring this and that, almost the entire 2GB was in use.

It's been awhile since I ran a domain at home. Just easier to not run one at home when you've got guests connecting to shares on your file server and whatnot. Essentials creates a domain right off the bat (I didn't see an option to not create one). I would rather NOT create a domain at home and just use the OS for file/media sharing and backup purposes; though I don't know what features are co-dependent on what other features, if that makes sense.

I was having trouble connecting to my file shares from W7 boxes...I read something about a "Windows 7 connector" in the posts above...I need to read an in-depth guide to configuring 2012 Essentials...I might reload it this weekend.

So far it's weird. Having no Start button and the traditional menu is odd and I'm not digging the Tiles menu thing at all. Nothing is where it's supposed to be. But I must say that right after you login, the server is ready for action. It seems to load everything it needs to as it starts up, before you get to the login screen. Very unlike former MS Server OS's. In use, it's farily speedy running off an old 7200-rpm SATA HD. I bet it would FLY running of a 10K rpm SAS drive or an SSD. :cool:

I'm very interested to learn more....a good sign.

I'm probably going to swap out the MB/CPU for a more powerful solution. 2012 is dragging a bit on a 2.1GHz C2D.

Last edited: