Windows S, now pre-bundled on cheap laptops, the death of "open" Windows platform as we know it. (Update: My experience!)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234926&ignorebbr=1

Windows 10 S pre-installed. Windows 10 S is the new standard in portable cloud-based operating systems. Windows 10 S is the 100% app based version of Windows 10 where Store apps are verified and designed for superior performance and security.

100% app-based version of Windows? Windows Store "apps" ONLY? Wasn't Windows R, or whatever it was called, for ARM, like this too? And everyone hated it? Because no Win32 support, no "legacy" apps (like the ones that you know and love from the Freeware and Open Source / Free Software world)?

This is Microsoft, testing the waters, to LOCK DOWN WINDOWS, like a CONSOLE GAME BOX.

Next up, requiring a "Windows Live 1 Year Subscription", to play games and run non-freeware apps on their platform. (Speculation, but c'mon, y'all know where this is headed, right?)

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'll stick to the Pro versions, sounds like the S version will capture quite a few noobs, though.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
While I personalty do not care about it.

The responses are Not fare.

You buy an iPad you get IOS.

You buy MacBook you get MacOS (AKA OSX).

You get Tablet you get Android.

You want Desktop you get Linux.

Microsoft made an attempt to give you both in Windows 10.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I think Microsoft is trying to fight a battle it can never win.

It tries to create an environment that's like Android or iOS where you can only install APPs from MS Store.

The problem is that as long as MS offer a way to let you go back to desktop mode where you can install and run traditional win32 & win64,

users will always go back to the environment where he/she can have more choices.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
@mxnerd. You are right.

That said, MS has a better sense to what hundreds Millions Users want (or ask for) then us the 1% Enthusiasts who spend thousands of $$ on Gaming Machines.

It is not a coincidence that the offer as stated in OP is a $199 ""Something"".:eek:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
@mxnerd.

It is not a coincidence that the offer as stated in OP is a $199 ""Something"".:eek:

The price actually is pretty darn good! With a screen, keyboard and a Pro license, it's actually better than many mini PCs that are from China.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The price actually is pretty darn good! With a screen, keyboard and a Pro license, it's actually better than many mini PCs that are from China.
But how good is the hardware, and can I install other OSes like Linux on them? I wouldn't be surprised at all if these devices are designed and meant to be replaced every year.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
But how good is the hardware, and can I install other OSes like Linux on them? I wouldn't be surprised at all if these devices are designed and meant to be replaced every year.

This kind of hardware is only for lightweight MS OFFICE job and browsing. Don't expect too much.

It's perfect for small business salespersons or fieldworkers who usually only use one or two softwares and most of these software are just used for form filling.

==

I don't see why it won't run Linux. The only problem is driver support. And if you want to keep Windows, there will be little space left for Linux.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
This kind of hardware is only for lightweight MS OFFICE job and browsing. Don't expect too much.

It's perfect for small business salespersons or fieldworkers who usually only use one or two softwares and most of these software are just used for form filling.

==

I don't see why it won't run Linux. The only problem is driver support. And if you want to keep Windows, there will be little space left for Linux.
If I could get one that allows the end user to add a M.2 SSD then I might consider getting one. However that most likely will increase the price.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
That would work in a pinch, but how does USB3 compare to eMCC in performance?

When used as an additional storage space I do not see the Speed difference in this case as a Determent.

Nov 20, 2009
Blame the smartphone culture. They want 'apps' in the form of downloading them from some sort of 'app store'. Train a monkey to want X and you get X for the rest of your monkey life.

Reactions: corkyg and whm1974

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Windows 10 S is fine.

It's the eMMC storage chip that makes this device junk.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I can't get my Lenovo IdeaPad 100S (Red, Bay Trail quad-core Atom, eMMC), to boot a Linux LiveUSB. At all, at least, Mint.

Someone managed to install Linux Mint 19 on his Ideapad 100S. But no sound.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=275593

== Edit ==

Eventually he installed Lubuntu, since Linux Mint is too heavy.

https://everythingisamiracleblog.wo...stall-lubuntu-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-100s-11iby/

==

Never buy Atom based stuff. I used to have an Atom based Acer mini-PC , sold it eventually, all I can say it's a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Someone managed to install Linux Mint 19 on his Ideapad 100S. But no sound.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=275593

== Edit ==

Eventually he installed Lubuntu, since Linux Mint is too heavy.

https://everythingisamiracleblog.wo...stall-lubuntu-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-100s-11iby/

==

Never buy Atom based stuff. I used to have an Atom based Acer mini-PC , sold it eventually, all I can say it's a nightmare.
I agree, and don't most Atom based devices do not have not enough RAM and storage?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I just bought a Windows 10 "S Mode" laptop. I sort of actually overlooked it, thinking that it wasn't a big deal, I could always bust out a USB stick (Win10 MCT), and re-format. Boy, was I wrong.

It's a 2019-release HP, with a Ryzen 3 3200U, a 2C/4T 2.6Ghz base CPU. Not too shabby. $269 at Wally-world.

Anyways, plugged in (battery internal), powered on, attempted to go through setup, shut off stupid cortana voice... and then connect to my Wifi LAN. That was my first mistake. "S Mode" laptops, WILL NOT ALLOW THE USE OF A LOCAL ACCOUNT SETUP, if you connect the internet. And they don't offer a "Not now" option for networking, only "I Don't Have Internet".

Select that, and you can create a local account.

However, I only found that out, after two attempts at booting a Win10 1903 (Aug. update) USB stick. First, I chose to format the "main" Win10 partition, and left the recovery partition. When I got the same behavior during setup, I blew away all of the partitions, and started fresh.

However, I used this very same USB stick to re-format a Desktop Ryzen PC, and didn't get this behavior, so this is specific to "S Mode" laptops tagged in the BIOS.

Getting rid of S Mode - not as easy as MS makes it sound.

They say "Go to the Windows Store, and 'GET' out of S Mode".

Easy enough, right? Go to Settings, Activation, helpful link "Go to store and get out of S Mode".

So you click it, and there's a big shiny button on that page, that says "Get". Click it and...

MS wants an MS account credentials. No exceptions. So I supplied my Skype id, after futilely clicking "Next", "Cancel", "Forgot my username", etc. Then then wanted an e-mail to associate WITH that Skype ID. Then they wanted to actually VERIFY it, by requiring you to log into it, and give them a response code.

So, basically, "Windows 10 S Mode" laptops, are a HUGE privacy hole, and, at least acccording to their FAQ, YOU CANNOT USE FIREFOX OR CHROME ON WINDOWS S MODE - UNLESS YOU GIVE THEM BOTH AN MS ACCOUNT AND AN E-MAIL IN ORDER TO 'ESCAPE' FROM S MODE.

So convenient. Before, MS was accused of anti-trust (and essentially found guilty), when they simply bundled their own web browser, for free. On the basis that the unassuming masses would think that that shiny blue 'E' on the desktop, WAS "the internet", and wouldn't search for other browsers.

Well, these days, MS simply LOCKS OUT ALL COMPETING BROWSERS, unless you are savvy enough to NEGOTIATE THE HASSLE TO DISABLE S MODE, AND WILLING TO GIVE UP SOME OF YOUR PRIVACY TO DO SO.

This is really heading towards a nightmare-ish scenario, and it's nothing like the Windows that I knew and "loved" growing up in the 90s/2000s. This is MS heading towards DOMINATION END-GAME. And I don't like it.

Worst yet, EVEN ARMED WITH A USB STICK TO INSTALL FRESH CLEAN WINDOWS 10, YOU CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THE PROCESS NEEDED TO 'ESCAPE' S MODE!

Nov 20, 2009
This is why I am currently researching the Windows-look in terms of Linux themes for when I have to build my wife's next computer, which will not be a Mac or an authentic Windows PC. It has come down to a situation that for the gullible to blindly buy into these kinds of products they are really just renting them. I had a slightly not-as0bad experience when i bought an HP hockey puck PC a couple of years back and the base Windows 8 on it was deliberately neutered. Lucky for me I had someone north of the border provide me with a clean Windows 8 image.

Was there anything found in the hardware to suggest a binding to M$, Windows 10 S-Mode, etc? Any consideration for putting Linux on it?