Windows printer sharing problem

dadoph

Jun 1, 2005
I am having trouble connecting to a shared printer from one XP Pro computer to another. I have simple file sharing enabled and can use file shares with no problem. Both computers can see each other in Network Neighborhood, no problems there at all.

However, if I try to connect to a shared printer on PC1 from PC2, I get an error stating access denied. If I reverse roles, PC1 can connect to PC2's printer no problem. I also have 2 other computers PC3 and PC4 and they either get the same error message, or they get a prompt for a password for the Guest account (which I thought is supposed to have a blank password). As before, all three computers can connect to PC1's file shares with no problem. And, when I look at Current Sessions under Computer Management\Shared Folders\Sessions, all the computers show as being connected via Guest.

So, why does Guest access work for my file shares but not for my printer share? And why do I see the Access Denied error on two of them and a prompt for Guest password on the other when I try to connect to the printer?

Thanks.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Did you specifically setup which accoutns have rights to the printer when you shared it? I would just leave the printer wide upen with the "Everyone" id in there for usage. COuld at lesat try that as a test.

dadoph

Jun 1, 2005
Well, with simple file sharing enable in XP Pro, there really isn't an option to specify which group have what access, is there?

Slowlearner

Mar 20, 2000
Is the printer shared? You have to enable sharing on the specific printer by highlighting it and enabling sharing.

dadoph

Jun 1, 2005
Oh yea, the printer is shared. I can see it either via network neighborhood browsing, or by going through the Add printer wizard and browsing. I just can't connect to it.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dadoph
Well, with simple file sharing enable in XP Pro, there really isn't an option to specify which group have what access, is there?
There isn't an option, no, but by default guest access is off. If you can't get to the sharing tab when you go to the printer properties then you'll need to enable complex file sharing. Otherwise just make sure that "everyone" is listed as having print permissions and you should be fine.

dadoph

Jun 1, 2005
Thanks. I can get to the sharing tab no problem. And the printer is shared. And my computers are able to connect with Guest access for file sharing.

I just can't connect to the shared printer with Guest access. I'm stumped.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I never use Simple File Sharing. Just go to normal and then check the Security of the printer and let everyone have access to it. THen you don't need any login or anything...

Or even easier, just go buy a converter thing to turn it into a network printer and then it's real easy.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dadoph
Thanks. I can get to the sharing tab no problem. And the printer is shared. And my computers are able to connect with Guest access for file sharing.

I just can't connect to the shared printer with Guest access. I'm stumped.
Okay, so, is there a security tab? If not, you need to enable complex permissions. Once you do that, make sure the user "everyone" has print access for that printer.

Slowlearner

Mar 20, 2000
Are you logging in as the administrator when you try to add a network printer to the list of printers?