Windows PC Connected, No Internet Access

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Been battling this for a while:

Windows 10 Pro x64
Internal Static IP
Ethernet connected

So, I use this computer as a media server, and it also is the central mysql database for my Kodi library. I have it set up with a static IP as Im running Sabnzbd and Sonnar, so getting back to the same IP each time is needed.

Problem is, this one particular machine keeps losing connection. The icon in the task bar has an exclamation point in it. Local network as well as internet does not work. If i reset the router or disable/enable the adapter on the computer it'll bring it back up for a little while, but will eventually lose connection again.

This only seems to happen with the machine with a static IP. All other ethernet connections throughout the house connect and stay connected just fine with dynamic via DHCP.

Router is a Linksys EA6350 AC1200+. This also happened on an older router, a WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware. I replaced it with the AC router, which fixed it for about a month or so, but now the problem is back. Im assuming I don't just have the worst luck with routers and its something in Windows causing this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Why not reserve a static IP for the machine on the router so it will give the machine a static IP instead you configure it on the PC?

If it still does not work, buy a INTEL network card to replace the crappy on board ethernet (most are Realtek)

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Why not reserve a static IP for the machine on the router so it will give the machine a static IP instead you configure it on the PC?

If it still does not work, buy a INTEL network card to replace the crappy on board ethernet (most are Realtek)

Its a laptop so aside from possibly a USB adapter, it won't be simple. I know i should be using a desktop, or NAS, but Im not looking at investing extra $$ at this time, and the laptop has been working for my needs. Really, its not used for anything else besides downloading to an external HD, and acting as a Kodi/SABNAZD server..

How do I reserve this static machine and make sure this particular machine gets the IP? Im not opposed to that.

On the machine, id just set it to DHCP?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Any modern router has the capability to reserve a static IP (use adapter's MAC address) for a particular device/PC. And yes, configure your laptop to use DHCP.

Just login your router and you will find where to input IP address/MAC address pair.

use URL http://yourrouterip , to reach router's home page

Last edited:

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Any modern router has the capability to reserve a static IP (use adapter's MAC address) for a particular device/PC. And yes, configure your laptop to use DHCP.

Just login your router and you will find where to input IP address/MAC address pair.

use URL http://yourrouterip , to reach router's home page

Great, found it. Seems ok right now, fingers crossed it stays this way. Thank you.

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Well, that worked for a little while....now its back to the same problem. Windows network troubleshooting resets the adapter, saying default gateway not available.

Im going to try to update the driver later. Maybe its something simple like that.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Check the power options, sounds to me like Windows is trying to put the NIC to sleep.

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Check the power options, sounds to me like Windows is trying to put the NIC to sleep.

I can check, but I'm fairly certain the whole thing is set to stay on and active at all times. The backlight is broke on this laptop, so its connected to a bedroom tv via hdmi (which is why I chose to use it as a media server). The lid is always open and its always on. Im not sure this would be the case, as it was working fine the last month plus.

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
checked power settings, they seem fine. Uninstalled old driver completely, installed new windows 10 realtek 8111 driver from April 2016. So far its working, but it usually goes out within 30 min max. So we shall see again. Im beginning to wonder if its the adapter itself, but if thats the case would it have issues until a router change, then work again for a month, then do the same thing again?

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
its usb 2.0, will 10/100/1000 even be beneficial on 2.0?

Old USB 2.0 chip usually can't reach it's maximum potential. 3.0 chip in most cases provide better performance than 2.0 even if your PC/laptop only has 2.0 ports.

By the way, have you tried to change the port on router, could it be the port that your laptop connects to is flaky?

Last edited:

angrynerdrock

Jul 9, 2005
Old USB 2.0 chip usually can't reach it's maximum potential. 3.0 chip in most cases provide better performance than 2.0 even if your PC/laptop only has 2.0 ports.

By the way, have you tried to change the port on router, could it be the port that your laptop connects to is flaky?

Not yet. Would seem weird to have that behaivor on two routers though. Everything has been solid for the past 7 or so hours since I deleted and reinstalled the drivers, so we will see how it goes before I get a usb>ethernet replacement.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
"connected, no internet access"

I deal with thousands of PCs never really had that issue with win7 even with crummy broadcom or realtek chips ( fyi if you have a choice always buy Intel).

This happens a lot on broadcom and realtek chips on 8.1 and 10

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Try leaving the assigned ip address on the router, but set the pc back to auto. The ip adress will still be static, but the os won't think it is.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
"connected, no internet access"

I deal with thousands of PCs never really had that issue with win7 even with crummy broadcom or realtek chips ( fyi if you have a choice always buy Intel).

This happens a lot on broadcom and realtek chips on 8.1 and 10

I deal with thousands of PC's as well, pretty much all with Realtek NIC's, never had this issue.