Windows Media Player won't play more than one song

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhicks727

Jan 29, 2006
I have Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000, and for some reason when I play a song from my library, it won't play more than just that one song. It just stops after it's done. I've messed with the shuffle and repeat functions, that doesn't change anything. I can play a whole album from the album's context menu, but I can't have it just play through my library at all. Any ideas of how I can fix this?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Keep things simple. I forget all about libraries and playlists, use the classic file menu. I open the album or collection I want (on HDD, CD or DVD), and open the folder and hit Ctrl A - (select all) and all play nicely.

Works in both XP and Vista.

grimlykindo

Jan 27, 2005
If you only choose one song - only one song will play.

You must have the whole CD showing on your library to play more than one song - I hope this is what you mean

Edit: To make the whole library plan make a playslist and include your whole library - that should work

jwhicks727

Jan 29, 2006
That idea of making a playlist of the whole library would work, but the thing is before I didn't have to do that so it seems like there is a setting that just got messed up. Before, I would just choose any song in the library, double click it, and when it was done it would play the next song (or a random song from the whole library if it was on shuffle).

grimlykindo

Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: jwhicks727
That idea of making a playlist of the whole library would work, but the thing is before I didn't have to do that so it seems like there is a setting that just got messed up. Before, I would just choose any song in the library, double click it, and when it was done it would play the next song (or a random song from the whole library if it was on shuffle).

Yeah I usually only play one artist or one CD at a time. I have way to much random music to let mine shuffle the whole collection. I have about 600-650 CDs

cdoublejj

Mar 27, 2012
Sorry to grave dig but, i am having the same problem with WMP12.0.7601.17514

So for long while my music library has been corrupt, it would play but, would not keep playing ie shuffle, i ran the trouble shooter some time back and it said corupt library.
So what i did was try to weed out the corrupt music, what i found was it was not corrupt music BUT, that it was not the music it is WMP 12 it can not handle any more than 19982 songs or 2193 albums. at first i thought maybe it was the portion of music i was adding and removing finding this bug but, it is not then i thought maybe it is just to much to store in the "current" so i made 4th folder and my music collection is split up in 3 folders. adding the 4th fodler made not difference it can not shuffle or continuous play after19982 songs or 2193. It will play them just fine BUT, no continuous play or shuffle unless in some play list or artist/album sub section.
I am about to confirm this on completely different computer.

Pashaah

Nov 20, 2017
Had this issue for a very long time, just figured it out right now!
So beneath the classic menu bar (ctrl+m), there's back/forward flashes and a sort of address map like this: "Library > Music > All Music"...
Click on the "Music", in the menu right click on "all music" and choose "play". This fixed mine and now works just like before. I don't know what's the bug that it only worked from here for me.
I hope this solves your problem (of course if you're still having it) but if it doesn't, try resetting your Windows Media Player by typing the following in windows search to reset the WMP settings and then do the above again.
" msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic "

10 year old thread
Last bumped in 2012, locking this one up.
Usandthem

Reactions: K Strunk
Status
Not open for further replies.