windows locking up everytime i insert cd\dvd

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
everytime i insert a cd or dvd into my combo drive windows locks up forcing me to hit reset button and restart the computer. at first i thought my combo drive had died so i bought replacement but it is doing the same thing so i believe something else is wrong. i am using the following drivers for my nforce 4 motherboard -
Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.51
Ethernet PreNRM driver 4.71 nforce2 (stable beta)(fixes throughput bsod)
Ethernet NRM driver version 5.09 nforce 3/4 (customised whql)
Network management tools version 5.09
GART driver 4.40 (stable beta)
Memory controller driver 4.40 (stable beta)
SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)
Installer version 4.93
SATA RAID driver version 6.24 (customised stable beta)
IDE driver version 6.24 (nforce 2,3 and 4) (customised stable beta)
the system was fine after i installed the motherboard a few weeks ago but this problwm just started happening all of a sudden. i am running windowsXP with service pack 2 with all the current updates. anybody have any ideas what is happening here? i should also mention that if i insert anything into the plextor DVD burner i get no lock ups, runs fine

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i have it hooked to the sata port via an adapter now and still have the same problem. i tried as slave to the plextor and then as master on sata chanell

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Delete the dvd drive and controller it's attached to from device manager and reboot?

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
anybody have any other ideas on this problem? i have deleted the driver and let windows reinstall it and have also turned off auto play. the only thing i can think of it being is i installed the new catalyst driver for my video card around the time the problems started, could that be the cause and if so how do i fix it?

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
its usually those nforce IDE drivers
delete both IDE channels and busmaster in dev man

go back to generic MS

dunkster

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
What Bozo Galora said.

If Nvidia IDE driver installed, roll back IDE driver to windows driver.

Hope this helps!

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
hey, this is the first time in 6 years that someone has agreed with me in GH!

(just noticed you joined 2 weeks before me).

The Batt?sai

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2005
i hope u figure it out. i have no idea. maybe the ide controller is failiing, or the powersupply, or maybe the drive is dirty??

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
did you check the data cable? Amazing how those buggers can cause so much trouble, I had a cable that had a broken wire somewhere and would cause all sorts of strange behavior.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i hooked it up via SATA and IDE so i think the cable is not at fault. i am about ready to do a format and reinstall windows to see if that fixes it.