Windows Live Movie Maker won't display video, audio works fine.

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Sulaco, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Hi gang,

So I'm trying to edit together a video in WLMM. I've downloaded the videos I'm going to be using from YouTube (flv), converted them into different formats (wmv, mainly), and once I put them in WLMM, the audio works fine, but there's no video; just a black screen.

The videos I've converted play fine in Windows Media Player as well, so I don't think it's the conversion itself. It's just Movie Maker that won't seem to display video along with the audio.

Any ideas? It seems like it would be a video codec issue, but I'm really not too experienced in this area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows Live Movie Forum Date
    FYI: Windows Essentials (formerly Windows Live Essentials) has been discontinued Software for Windows Mar 19, 2017
    In Windows Live Mail (the win32 client), you can't move a mail folder? Software for Windows Feb 29, 2016
    Windows Live Movie Maker “Caution Flags” ‘Solved’ Software for Windows Feb 1, 2016
    You can customize videooutput in windows live movie maker Software for Windows Sep 20, 2010
    Windows Live Movie Maker - why fixed size output?? Software for Windows Mar 1, 2010

3. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

Try using an online youtube to avi converter and open that in WLMM.

Also, try opening the wildlife.wmv sample video just to make sure your WLMM isnt totally broken.

4. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sadly, it didn't seem to work. I tried a couple of different files and a two different websites/programs. Still nothing.

The wildlife sample video plays fine, videos recorded on my camera and uploaded play fine, but anything converted off YouTube just seems to play the audio....video is just black.

:(

5. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Interesting update:

I downloaded MovieMaker 2.6 (Vista) from MS. Tried the videos and...

IT WORKED. Video and audio both. I'm assuming its an issue with Move Maker in Windows 7 then? I'll try my project in 2.6 then, but should I look for some codec packs or something just in case?