Windows Live Movie Maker - why fixed size output??

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by PowerRanger, Mar 1, 2010.

1. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Senior member

Hi all, so I recently downloaded Windows Live Movie Maker to stitch some videos together. However, I noticed that the final output movie is "fixed" in size. For example, if the video is 720x480, and my screen is larger than that; if I try to watch it full screen, instead of "resizing" to fill up the screen, the video stays at the same resolution with dark borders to fill up the rest. Why is this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

what are you using to playback the video? all video is resized unless you have a screen the exact size of the video. maybe some stretch video to window size is not set, and its just displaying the original size

3. PowerRanger

I tried using both VLC as well as WMP. I'm pretty sure both players are OK since all other videos "auto-stretch" fine.

Here's a screen shot comparison to show the difference btw. the original file and the Live Movie Maker output file, when maximized.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hoy49z.jpg

Again, any further input is greatly appreciated!

4. 13Gigatons

13Gigatons Diamond Member

5. PowerRanger

Hi 13Gigatons, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe this means this is just how Live Movie Maker is in terms of output, rather than just me? :/

6. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

That's weird...output scaling shouldn't at all be coupled to the video's resolution, encoding process or editor.

7. 13Gigatons

13Gigatons Diamond Member

It's a pretty bad editor, it locks up a lot and doesn't have many options.

8. PowerRanger

Ya it is pretty bad, doesn't even have a timeline anymore. However I find it just right for certain needs, such as quickly stitching a few videos (without cutting) using the "Auto Movie" mode. But unfortunately its not usable due to the "fixed output size" issue. :(

9. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

Wow, I just tried it and it does limit the scaling...I really don't understand what it's doing with the video file then. That's terrible.

I know you can still install the old movie maker on windows though. Just have to google search it,

10. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

weird.

ah well wmm sucks balls then

11. PowerRanger

Damn, I guess this confirms its some kind of limitation of the software then. Booooo...

Thanks for all the help everyone, greatly appreciate it! :)

12. jsnowbusiness

jsnowbusiness Junior Member

i know this thread is old, but i found it trying to figure out the same problem....

and the solution is simple... on the "Project" tab in Windows Live Movie Maker you must click the "Widescreen (16:9)" button... mine was doing the same thing and this fixed it.