Windows leave trail when dragging in Windows 7 on new machine

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Hi all,

You guys helped me build a great rig. I am having a slightly annoying problem and would appreciate any help.
When I am dragging my windows, they leave a trail which follows the window.

System: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Entropy1982/saved/3EgD

I am using windows 7 Ultimate. I installed all the latest drivers from nVidia. Not sure what is causing this. My old machine had the same version of windows installed and was a lot slower, but never did this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Do you have show window contents when moving enabled?

Does yr GPU have current drivers? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling them?

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Is it like this since you build it.or did it just started doing it.and also did you perform a clean install for the gpu drivers.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Is it like this since you build it.or did it just started doing it.and also did you perform a clean install for the gpu drivers.

I suggested he uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but he has not yet gotten back.

Excellent question re was this always as it is?:thumbsup:

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
I suggested he uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but he has not yet gotten back.

Excellent question re was this always as it is?:thumbsup:

I just performed a clean install. Yes show window contents is on, but it has always been on. I am using completely brand new parts for everything. Would uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers really help? I mean i literally just did it like 10 hours ago. Completely clean install.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I just performed a clean install. Yes show window contents is on, but it has always been on. I am using completely brand new parts for everything. Would uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers really help? I mean i literally just did it like 10 hours ago. Completely clean install.

First, Denis is the uber expert here in Nvidia everything. Please wait for him to weigh in again. You may have to actually roll the drivers back, Denis will know!

Can U pls clarify if this is your INITIAL INSTALL or just a clean install?

Last edited:

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Okay I will try to be as clear as possible. Sorry for any confusion. I will also include the one hiccup that happened during installation.
So I build the computer in the link (also adding one of my older SSDs and one spinner in the build. Everything else was brand new.
I started installing windows on the new 500gig SSD. Like 80 percent through the install i confused the LED button on my case with the Reset button. So yeah, I restarted my computer during a windows install (i'm an idiot.)
I get back to windows installation screen and now it's telling me I can't use this drive because it's some GMP or GPT format or something. So I read up on some forums and figure out how to clean the partition and repartition it as MBR. So I do that, install windows. Everything from there is pretty good. I install mobo (from DVD) and nvidia drivers (from nVidias website.) And then update them again once the nVidia software is installed.
So now everthing is working very well, games are running very smoothly, etc. However, as I drag a window across my empty desktop it leaves a small trail Maybe 0.5seconds of trail as it's moving) but even more annoying is if I drag one window across another, the trail actually lasts longer inside of the window across which the first one is being dragged than it would a desktop. Sometimes double or triple the time of the original trail.
I know I sound like a whiner complaining about seeing a trail for a second. I am just confused about why it didn't happen with an older, slower system, and now it does.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
First, you are neither an idiot nor a WHINER. That you are not Lance Armstrong....is a GOOD THING.

So, is what you are saying, the annoying (YES, it IS) trail while dragging was present right off after your successful install?

You are saying, after, during first, attempted installation of the OS, during which you did a human thing, you then deleted all partitions and reformatted the drive before starting the second install?

And again why do your specs, via yr link list two identical GPUs?

Again, pls chill and wait for The Denis in Canada to arrive back. This may well simply owe to the WRONG GPU drivers, DESPITE YOURS ARE CURRENT.:)

Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Sure it's not just mouse trails? You can turn that setting off in the mouse portion of the control panel.

Also with newer video cards and LCDs, especially on laptops there is a slower 40hz refresh rate to save on battery life. Perhaps your refresh rate is not set to 60hz.

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
First, you are neither an idiot nor a WHINER. That you are not Lance Armstrong....is a GOOD THING.

So, is what you are saying, the annoying (YES, it IS) trail while dragging was present right off after your successful install?

You are saying, after, during first, attempted of the OS, during which you did a human thing, you wiped all partitions and reformatted the drive before starting the second install?

And again why do your specs, via yr link list two identical GPUs?

Again, pls chill and wait for The Denis in Canada to arrive back. This may well simply owe to the WRONG GPU drivers, DESPITE YOURS ARE CURRENT.:)

Edit: to clarify - I didn't try dragging the windows so I have no idea if this happened or not before the drivers were installed.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Yes I saw this right after the first install. I dont really recall doing it before I installed my GPU drivers though. The reason 2 identical GPUs are listed is because I have them in SLI entropy1982 is online now Report Post

Thanks. increasingly, it does sound to me like a drivers issue. Again, pls wait for the Denis. And, I have no experience at all with SLI, but I am positive Denis does, and others here as well do.

Simple country girls use only one GPU per system.:whiste::cool:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Yes I saw this right after the install. I dont really recall doing it before I installed my GPU drivers though. The reason 2 identical GPUs are listed is because I have them in SLI

Edit: to clarify - I didn't try dragging the windows so I have no idea if this happened or not before the drivers were installed.

I took a screen shot. Have a look:
http://i.imgur.com/5BY5xQL.jpg

Wow. Yes, not normal/annoying for SURE.

Again, pls wait for Denis & other GPU/nvidia driver/SLI pundits!!!!

In the mean time, boot into Safe Mode (You can do that easily cause U running W 7, lol) , and see if this thing presents or not.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I don't see yr monitor listed in yr specs. Please share its specifics. Is the monitor new to this build or have you used it before?

How are you connecting to it?

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I've been using this monitor for a long time now it is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-3007WFP-H.../dp/B001AO2QLG
I also have a 24 inch on the side of it, but that one does the same thing.

Many thanks, I think we just ruled out hardware as the issue.

Again, pls try to boot into Safe Mode and see what happens re this issue.

Last edited:

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Many thanks, I think we just ruled out hardware as the issue.

Again, pls try to boot into Safe Mode and see what happens re this issue.

Thanks for being so attentive :)
I tried it in safe mode, and it seems the same issue is happening there as well.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for being so attentive :)
I tried it in safe mode, and it seems the same issue is happening there as well.

No thanks necessary! Interesting it presents in safe Mode as well. Did you have to learn to configure yr SLI profile?

Again, do not panic, you may well simply be using the wrong drivers.

I am also wondering about the refresh rate on these two monitors.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I too should now wait for GPU pundits.....but just curious, if you disable yr SLI in the bios so only one card functions, does the problem still present?

OK wait! I just finally delved and see you can disable SLI in Nvidia Control Panel! Again, I have ATI Radeon GPU and only one.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Try this if you have 32 bit windows. Right click the desktop anywhere but on an icon and select properties. Then select Desktop tab, then costomize desktop. Now select the Web tab. Uncheck any box that is checked. Click OK

This may work as well. Right click the desktop anywhere but on an icon and select Personalize. Now select a different theme. You may even need to change the desktop background.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Unfortunately disabling SLI does not fix it :( I think i'm just doomed to learn to live with it lol

NO!!!!!! You are SO NOT DOOMED TO LIV WITH IT.

Again, I have learned right here that Nvidia drivers often have PMS or something like that.

Denis and Ketchup79 know all about this. Also, I am sure, others.

I wonder.....assuming both monitors are plugged into the same card, if anything happens if you remove one?

If not, gotta be wrong drivers.

entropy1982

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Try this if you have 32 bit windows. Right click the desktop anywhere but on an icon and select properties. Then select Desktop tab, then costomize desktop. Now select the Web tab. Uncheck any box that is checked. Click OK

This may work as well. Right click the desktop anywhere but on an icon and select Personalize. Now select a different theme. You may even need to change the desktop background.

Holy crap, the theme fixed it! THANK YOU EVERYONE :))))))

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013

I think he is running 64 bit. With that rig and that ram, pretty sure.