Windows laptop users with 32GB eMMC,how well have you managed the upgrade and update process so far?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When I updated my basically-new Dell (Blue) cloudbook, with N3050, 2GB/32GB, from the included Windows 10, to 1607, using a 16GB USB flash drive with the installer on it, it said that I didn't have enough space, and to plug in some external storage. So I took a blank 16GB flash drive (said it needed 12GB), and plugged it into the other USB port, and re-ran the installer, and selected the other flash drive when asked, and then just let it do it's thing, overnight. (It was going REALLY slowly, like 1-2% an hour.)

By the next morning, though, it had finished.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
When I updated my basically-new Dell (Blue) cloudbook, with N3050, 2GB/32GB, from the included Windows 10, to 1607, using a 16GB USB flash drive with the installer on it, it said that I didn't have enough space, and to plug in some external storage. So I took a blank 16GB flash drive (said it needed 12GB), and plugged it into the other USB port, and re-ran the installer, and selected the other flash drive when asked, and then just let it do it's thing, overnight. (It was going REALLY slowly, like 1-2% an hour.)

By the next morning, though, it had finished.

Hi Virtual Larry,

I didn't realize a person could do an upgrade via iso (I thought only clean install was possible this way), but yes according to the below info it is a method:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...y-update/fab99802-4358-49d9-8278-e9664cd56311

So after the upgrade to Anniversary edition was done, what happened when you did disk cleanup? Were the old (pre-1607) Windows files automatically moved to the 2nd usb drive during the upgrade process? And then when you ran disk clean-up it removed the old installation there and any remaining on the eMMC?

PS. Back when I did the Anniversary update for my Windows 10 Pro via the Internet method I remember there being something like 17 GB freed after the cleanup.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've got a 64gb emmc drive in my tablet and when I cleaned up the aftermath I believe it was on the order of 19gb.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So after the upgrade to Anniversary edition was done, what happened when you did disk cleanup? Were the old (pre-1607) Windows files automatically moved to the 2nd usb drive during the upgrade process? And then when you ran disk clean-up it removed the old installation there and any remaining on the eMMC?

I think that I did "Disk Cleanup" immediately after, so I'm not sure where the backup files went. After I did that, though, the secondary USB flash drive was completely empty.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Disk cleanup should do it. Run it once, click the 'clean up system files' button for another scan and you should see either 'previous windows installations' or 'windows update cleanup' or something and there will be big chunks of stuff.