Windows Explorer Crashes When I Try to Manually Configure Network

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
I installed an SSD on my Dell Inspiron m101z (in my sig) and when I try to manually connect to my uni's network (which is the only way you can get it to run) Windows explorer crashes.

Basically, how you reproduce it is by right clicking on wireless connections and selecting open Network and Sharing Center. Then I click on Manage wireless networks to the left. Then I click on Add and Manually create a network profile. I enter the network info and click Next. Then a window opens and says successfully added [network name]. I click on Change connection settings and it crashes Windows explorer every time.

Here is the log from Windows:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17651
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e21213c
Exception Code: c06d007e
Exception Offset: 000000000000cacd
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: da79
Additional Information 2: da792e9211ac67d526eb6782279bebf2
Additional Information 3: aba1
Additional Information 4: aba15c3f8949267b5ae91720174f7067

This will happen no matter what type of network I try to connect manually. Any ideas?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Eww, Explorer errors.

Break out MemTest86. If that passes then we can be reasonably sure it's not a CPU/RAM issue and that it's time to look at a reinstall. Assuming it's some kind of OS corruption, errors like these can rarely be repaired (unless you have backups of course). And of course if this started happening immediately after you installed the SSD, that calls into question whether the cloning went bad or if the SSD itself has a problem.:|

Last edited:

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Eww, Explorer errors.

Break out MemTest86. If that passes then we can be reasonably sure it's not a CPU/RAM issue and that it's time to look at a reinstall. Assuming it's some kind of OS corruption, errors like these can rarely be repaired (unless you have backups of course). And of course if this started happening immediately after you installed the SSD, that calls into question whether the cloning went bad or if the SSD itself has a problem.:|

Thanks for replying. :)

I didn't use cloning software; I did a new install. After installing Windows I installed all the drivers and programs and apart from that issue everything works perfectly.

I ran MemTest86 and the RAM showed zero errors. I also ran an Error scan on HDTune for the SSD and it showed no bad 'sectors'. The Health tab says everything is alright, too. I have no idea what it could be, but I'll try reinstalling Windows.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Eww, Explorer errors.

As it turns out it was an OS corruption issue like you said. I downloaded the official ISO from Microsoft and now I have no problems connecting manually. Thanks a lot for the tips. :thumbsup:

Now onto calling Microsoft later today so I can explain to them that I had to reinstall so they can activate it.