Question Windows Crashes & restarts itself but no message

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Hi,
I have Dell workstation with following specs :
CPU : Xeon E5645
RAM : 12 GB
GPUs ; Three AMD FirePro 2460 Low Profile Cards ( To run 12 Monitors )
12 Dell Monitors ( 1920x1200 )
Windows - 7

I have been using this system for last 10 years with no problem. Reason for Win-7 is that System & Cards won't run Win-10.
Recently one Fan that sucks the air & throws inside the system was making noise but system never crashed.
I cleaned the system with a blower & took out dirt. Now it makes much less noise.

But it crashes 1 to 3 times a day & restarts itself & takes much longer 10 to 20 minutes to boot.
There is no message when restarting like graphics drivers crashed or dumping memory etc.

System is in an A/C room ( keeping temp at 86 degree F )

Can you please tell me :

(1) what is causing windows to crash &
(2) why is it taking so long boot &
(3) What should I do ?

Thank You

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
My first thought is the PSU. Have you got a known working unit around the place to swap over & see if the problem persists?
Can't help you much on the ins & outs of win 7, its been too many yrs already for me!

Reactions: dan99t

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hi,
I have Dell workstation with following specs :
CPU : Xeon E5645
RAM : 12 GB
GPUs ; Three AMD FirePro 2460 Low Profile Cards ( To run 12 Monitors )
12 Dell Monitors ( 1920x1200 )
Windows - 7

I have been using this system for last 10 years with no problem. Reason for Win-7 is that System & Cards won't run Win-10.
Recently one Fan that sucks the air & throws inside the system was making noise but system never crashed.
I cleaned the system with a blower & took out dirt. Now it makes much less noise.

But it crashes 1 to 3 times a day & restarts itself & takes much longer 10 to 20 minutes to boot.
There is no message when restarting like graphics drivers crashed or dumping memory etc.

System is in an A/C room ( keeping temp at 86 degree F )

Can you please tell me :

(1) what is causing windows to crash &
(2) why is it taking so long boot &
(3) What should I do ?

Thank You

Nirsoft's BlueScreenView is a freeware utility that should be able to tell you what Windows crash messages have been logged.

In Windows I'd also switch off the 'auto restart on system failure' checkbox which can be found in Control Panel > System.

Having a read through the Windows Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System for warnings/errors since the problem started might be instructive.

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
My first thought is the PSU. Have you got a known working unit around the place to swap over & see if the problem persists?
Can't help you much on the ins & outs of win 7, its been too many yrs already for me!
Sorry, don't have another PSU & I understand Win-7 is too old for most. But Thank You.