Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2

jakub

Dec 24, 2003
Okay guys, i have a problem whenever i start up my computer, when the computer goes throught the DOS cycle before eventually turning on Windows ME, it says "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2".

I searched throught the internet and it told me that the cause was the wininit file stuffing up because when installing or updating a new programme and a restart is needed, the computer doesnt restart properly and thus corrupting the wininit.ini file.

I followed the instructions, changing the wininit.ini file to wininit.old file through DOS commands, and that worked fine. However, damn Microsoft started automatic downloading and installing new components on my computer, which of course needed a restart. And again the problem started, but this time, when it says "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2" i follow the instructions, but instead of fixing the problem, a new message comes up saying something like "duplicate file or file is in use" and thats all i can do.

I have Windows ME, i can only gets so far as the DOS screen before the computer continously says "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2" and the way i get to type in stuff in DOS is through SAFE MODE DOS prompt. However i cannot start my computer in SAFE MODE.

Much thanks

P.S the problemn most likely stems from Internet Explorer flashing and disappearing when i try to open it, but that will be another post i make when i can fix this problem.

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Your problem: You're running Windows ME

Get another version of Windows (ANY! EVEN 98!).

In any case, this is best solved by a good, clean reformat, and preferably a choice of another OS. ME is the worst version of Windows out there IMO, with loads of problems like this. I suggested 98 because they're not all that different. ME just has the DOS kernel ripped out of it more than 98 does, which is what causes many of the problems.

Get XP, 2k, or 98, depending on what your machine can handle and what you have access to (if you go to school, see if they have an Academic Alliance and they can probably get you XP Pro for free - that's what I did)

jakub

Dec 24, 2003
thanks for your reply, but i find out through deduction that i can type in anything after the wininit. part and it will fix it. So instead of typing wininit.old i wrote wininit.new and hey presto its fixed, and thats without clean reformat :D