Windows could not start because the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt...

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I need a little help!

I turned on my rig and I'm getting this message:

Windows could not start because the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.

I tried this link from the MS Knowledge base: Windows could not start because the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.

And that method doesn't work! :|

I even tried booting from my Win XP Pro CD, going to a fresh install, and I don't see the "repair" option as my HD doesn't show up on the list of available drives :confused:

Any assistance would be appreciated :)

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
try to get to a safe mode then do a restore from there . If thats a no go I would do the re install.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: squirrel dog
try to get to a safe mode then do a restore from there . If thats a no go I would do the re install.

rmrf, I'd like to get this issue solved today :beer:

squirrel dog, I can't boot to safe mode :(

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
You think you have some special privelege to post in OT because you're a Lifer? I think not

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
I had the exact same problem the other day... happened after somebody turned off my system in mid-boot. The repair option is worthless, IMO, all it does it load up a *limited* command prompt without any assistance in fixing your problem. I wound up just reinstalling the OS over the old one... so I could keep all the files, but had to re-set everything in Windows. It was a pain, but nothing else would work.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp
You think you have some special privelege to post in OT because you're a Lifer? I think not

No Stojakapimp, I don't, but I do know that many users who only frequent OT are very quick w/ helping others when needed.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
yep, this happend to my client's computer...i just did the reinstall on top..what a pain but what can you do

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
MacBaine & erub, I' m unable to successfully start the windows xp installation, when I get to the point of choosing a drive for installation, the installation crashes :confused:

I don't think there's anything "physically" wrong w/ the HD as I can get to the point where I can choose to start in safe mode, but any selection gives me the same error message :(

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
/looks over Zim's rig profile...

Is your OS drive on the 8K3A+'s RAID controller? That's probably why it isn't showing up in XP's repair process, the Highpoint drivers aren't built into XP. That's probably also why you are crashing when you try to do a re-install. Are you just using a single hard drive instead of a RAID array? If so, good. Take it off the RAID controller and put it on the mainboard's primary IDE controller. Then try the repair process. Do the manual process and try "fixboot", "sysprep", and a "chkdsk" (the last one just for sh!ts and giggles, you might have a corrupt MFT -- happened to me one time).
You'll probably have to reinstall all your device drivers if the repair is successful.

edit: I have the same mobo :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Now there's something I never thought of Vic.

Yes, HD is on my RAID controller as a single HD, not for any Raid purpose. I'll try your suggestion and put my HD on the Primary IDE controller.

Wish me luck!

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
yeah, what vic said. i was gonna suggest that too... umm... yeah... :confused: :eek:

good luck zim :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Okay, I've moved my HD from my RAID controller over to the primary IDE controller. I hit "r" to enter the recover console, then type "1" to select "1. C:\WINDOWS"

Before I do anything else, I have a concern, my HD while on my RAID controller was drive F. Choosing "1. C:\WINDOWS" won't mess up my whole system will it? :confused:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Okay, I've moved my HD from my RAID controller over to the primary IDE controller. I hit "r" to enter the recover console, then type "1" to select "1. C:\WINDOWS"

Before I do anything else, I have a concern, my HD while on my RAID controller was drive F. Choosing "1. C:\WINDOWS" won't mess up my whole system will it? :confused:
:confused: I honestly don't know. We might want to move this to OS forum after all.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: squirrel dog try to get to a safe mode then do a restore from there . If thats a no go I would do the re install.
rmrf, I'd like to get this issue solved today :beer: squirrel dog, I can't boot to safe mode :(

yeah, I understand your point on getting it resolved right away. As far as the repair picking the c:\windows installation, I believe that it just picks that because it is the only installation it can find and it is on the primary ide channel. windoze doesn't actually probe the drive to see if it is actually a c, d, f, etc.; it just assumes. when the repair is taking place, the cd should reference system files as %systemroot%\system32

hope this helps and sorry for the snappy reply earlier :beer: