Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem

mauiblue

Aug 8, 2004
I installed windows xp on a new set of hard drives (Seagate 500GB internal drives) that is setup as a RAID 1 array. I am getting this error message after windows install reboots:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

My system is in my sig. I tried doing a repair via the Win XP Pro recovery console but because windows didn't install completely I'm not able to resolve this issue. I've tried also using another set of drives to install windows and I get this same error message. I'm hoping someone could help me figure out this problem and find a solution. Mahalo!

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
The usual problem is that the array you want to boot from is not set as the boot device, either in the BIOS, or on the RAID setup screen.

mauiblue

Aug 8, 2004
Aloha Billb2. I think you are on to something I overlooked. I'll check on the RAID setup in the BIOS and go from there.

mauiblue

Aug 8, 2004
Aloha Billb2. You were right about the array not being set as the boot device in the BIOS RAID setup screen. I am able to install windows again.

If you are ever in Maui, email me as I owe you a lobster and steak dinner with drinks:D.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
It's a typical mistake.

You can't set the array as the boot device in the BIOS until after you set up the array (both in the BIOS and in the raid driver boot screen) because the array doesn't show up as a boot device choice in the BIOS until after you set it up.