Windows copy with verification?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by b4u, Jan 14, 2011.

1. b4u

b4u Golden Member

Hi,

I have a question regarding a basic feature in windows, file copy.

Back in the MS-DOS type, I could use copy and xcopy to do the job. If I would like to make sure the copy was accurate, I would use xcopy /v (not sure about the parameter used), and the system would copy the file and verify the destination was ok.

That process would take longer to copy, but I was sure that I would end up with an exact copy of the file(s).

Now in windows, we can copy files around, and even move them (yes, we could also move in MS-DOS :)), but doing it in windows, I have no choice of doing a copy verification.

Does windows have any mechanism to assure the copy is correct, bit-by-bit?

If not, how is the best way to do it? Third party software most probably, could you point out some alternatives?

After so many years using windows, I'm questioning if they copy the files correctly :D

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows copy verification Forum Date
    Downloaded Fresh Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit Copy in ISO how i make a Bootable USB Operating Systems Aug 1, 2016
    Windows 7 - Build 7601 copy not genuine - Windows must be restored Operating Systems May 12, 2016
    How to fix this copy of windows is not genuine W7 build 7601?? Operating Systems Mar 4, 2016
    Bex Error > Windows 7 "Cannot Copy and Paste"? Operating Systems Aug 16, 2015
    Convert evaluation copy of Windows 7 to retail copy? Operating Systems Aug 5, 2015

3. MrChad

MrChad Lifer

4. b4u

b4u Golden Member

I read somewhere that windows explorer automatically verifies files, but information is not very coherent and not sure if official at all.

I was hopping a better alternative than pulling out a command line console. Not that I have anything against it, but it's not much user friendly for other people that uses the home computer ...

5. gsaldivar

gsaldivar Diamond Member

6. wtchdr

wtchdr Junior Member

Another option is to do a checksum on each of the files. There are many different hash functions and free programs to accomplish this. I use a utility called jacksum 1.7.0 to run comparisons using the sha256 function. I can then confirm that large files stored on an external hard drive have not become corrupted over time.