Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources

VinylxScratches

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. When I attempt to use the Dell Recovery CD, I get Windows Setup booted, when it's expanding the files, at 81% it says this, "Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

I've tried my Vista Business copy that I had as well and I'm getting the same error.

What else can I try? If the DVD that came with the laptop isn't working, something physically must be wrong with the laptop?

I can't get the thing to boot a DVD drive via USB, there's no option.

Last edited:

VinylxScratches

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2009
Well I ran a hard drive diag tool that is on the Dell. I got an 0F00:075D error when doing a hard drive diag. I'm guessing the hard drive is bad?

I'm attempting to do a USB Drive install right now.... We'll see.

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
Bad memory can mimic many other hardware problems, including bad hard drives and almost every other component in the computer. This is what makes memory problems so frustrating and hard to diagnose.

VinylxScratches

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2009
Swapped out RAM, still errored out at 81%. I swapped the hard drive and it's at 95% now so it looks like it's working.