Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by VinylxScratches, Nov 15, 2009.

1. VinylxScratches

VinylxScratches Golden Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. When I attempt to use the Dell Recovery CD, I get Windows Setup booted, when it's expanding the files, at 81% it says this, "Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

I've tried my Vista Business copy that I had as well and I'm getting the same error.

What else can I try? If the DVD that came with the laptop isn't working, something physically must be wrong with the laptop?

I can't get the thing to boot a DVD drive via USB, there's no option.

#1 VinylxScratches, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows access installation Forum Date
    Installed Windows on new partition/drive. how do I access programs from other drives Operating Systems Nov 11, 2015
    WTF is "windows installer cannot be accessed" Operating Systems Nov 13, 2012
    Cannot access files or old WinXP installation in windows 7 Ultimate after Hardware Operating Systems Sep 7, 2010
    Installed Windows 7 64bit , can not access windows xp Operating Systems Feb 13, 2010
    "access denied" in DOS -- can't install windows Operating Systems Aug 23, 2005

3. sonoma1993

sonoma1993 Diamond Member

either the cd/dvd drive is going bad, or it could be a memory issue

4. VinylxScratches

I'm gonna attempt to do a USB installation of my Vista disc.

5. VinylxScratches

Well I ran a hard drive diag tool that is on the Dell. I got an 0F00:075D error when doing a hard drive diag. I'm guessing the hard drive is bad?

I'm attempting to do a USB Drive install right now.... We'll see.

6. VinylxScratches

USB flash install failed as well. I'm gonna borrow a SATA laptop drive from a friend and see if it works.

7. SimMike2

SimMike2 Platinum Member

Bad memory can mimic many other hardware problems, including bad hard drives and almost every other component in the computer. This is what makes memory problems so frustrating and hard to diagnose.

8. VinylxScratches

Swapped out RAM, still errored out at 81%. I swapped the hard drive and it's at 95% now so it looks like it's working.