Question Windows boot manager in bios

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Not sure if this is best place to post this but I have a Acer Aspire 5 laptop running Windows 10 Home. It has an NVMe SSD. I was wanting to boot from a usb thumb drive so I go into bios to change boot order and noticed only Windows boot manager is shown. While looking through the bios, I noticed a setting called f12 boot menu and that was disabled so I enabled it but still only shows windows boot manager. After a google search on this, someone said to change a setting on the boot tab to legacy mode but I don't have that setting. Only option I have on boot tab is secure boot which is enabled, didn't seem to be able to change it.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Found out the issue, the first usb port I had it plugged into wasn't recognizing the thumb drive, something beside it was preventing the thumb drive from being plugged in correctly. Put it in another port and was able to select it from boot menu.

The thumb drive is bootable and works as I have used it on other computers with no trouble.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I don't get something about this. On other computers, I have options like usb, floppy and some others I can't recall that I can set as first boot device, even with no external devices plugged in. On the laptop, unless something is plugged in, it doesn't show anything else. So is there no way to set usb as the first boot device? Is this just the new and improved way of doing things?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I don't get something about this..... So is there no way to set usb as the first boot device? Is this just the new and improved way of doing things?

That is an UEFI system so if I recall correctly the only items available per UEFI as bootable and listed as such in bios or on F12 Boot Manager input will be those, if any, recognized as "UEFI "or "Windows Boot Manager" devices during POST. If Legacy mode is included with UEFI boot options that may allow for non UEFI listings, but I cannot be sure--been awhile since I tooled around that setting.

So I vote yes, there is a different way. lol.