Windows Boot Manager and Boot Speeds

illram

Oct 17, 2011
What's more important to boot speeds: the drive windows is on, or the drive the windows boot manager is on? (EFI installs.)

E.g., if the boot manager is on a slower m.2 drive, but windows is on the faster pci-e drive, would moving the boot partition to the pci-e drive increase boot speeds, or make no difference?

illram

Oct 17, 2011
Well after some experience, none of which was intentional, I can answer my own question: it makes no difference. :beercheers:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
What's more important to boot speeds: the drive windows is on, or the drive the windows boot manager is on? (EFI installs.)

E.g., if the boot manager is on a slower m.2 drive, but windows is on the faster pci-e drive, would moving the boot partition to the pci-e drive increase boot speeds, or make no difference?

Why have the OS on two drives? A mistake ? You are doubling the chances of a corrupted OS . To half the chances, just install on one drive. Am I missing something ?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well after some experience, none of which was intentional, I can answer my own question: it makes no difference. :beercheers:
Kinda, it doesn't make a difference to the person watching it load the OS, but, it is slightly faster if it is on the same device. We are talking less than a sec though.

Dual booting that way is fine, but, just remember that if the drive with the boot information goes down, you lose access to both OSes, and you will be SOL if you don't have a way to boot the other drive.