Windows absolutely amazes me.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
My Windows XP is really fantastic. Last night I was playing CS just fine, and this afternoon when I come back, having kept the computer on during this time, the sound in CS wouldn't work.

I exit out, try Winamp, and still no sound. I go to Device Manager, try to uninstall/reinstall the SoundBlaster drivers, and the computer locks. Device manager locks. Speedfan locks. exploror.exe locks. A whole bunch of other things locks.

And of course the mighty task manage cannot kill any of these, and I can't do a taskkill because hey! my start menu is locked.

Reformat, here I come!

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
My Windows XP is really fantastic. Last night I was playing CS just fine, and this afternoon when I come back, having kept the computer on during this time, the sound in CS wouldn't work.

I exit out, try Winamp, and still no sound. I go to Device Manager, try to uninstall/reinstall the SoundBlaster drivers, and the computer locks. Device manager locks. Speedfan locks. exploror.exe locks. A whole bunch of other things locks.

And of course the mighty task manage cannot kill any of these, and I can't do a taskkill because hey! my start menu is locked.

Reformat, here I come!

Sounds like cs just didnt release all the resources back to windows. A restart would have probably cleared it up.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Reformat, here I come!

Taskkill, I assume that's a command line program? In Task Manager, you can go to File -> New Task (Run..) to get to the command line.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Sounds like cs just didnt release all the resources back to windows. A restart would have probably cleared it up.

No, if CS exited then all the resources it was using were released.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

If it exited. He doesn't say if it was still in the process list.

Anyway, sounds like a driver or hardware problem. If XP goes down hard it's something at that level.

funkbass81

Apr 4, 2006

Reformat, here I come!

so because you have no idea what youre doing, youre gonna reformat? makes sense.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
I probably should have stated that I've been having these problems for a while, and not just related to CS, but everything. It'll just hard lock out of no where, or explorer.exe will just stop responding.

I'm on a fresh install and doing a lot better now, but now I have to call Microsoft because I need to get my Windows reactivated.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Nice pics, Fuzzy! :)

Assume they were all with the XT?

Your clean install is probably the best solution.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: corkyg
Nice pics, Fuzzy! :)

Assume they were all with the XT?

Your clean install is probably the best solution.

Yup yup!

Actually, my computer's still hard locking :(

Maybe it's the 8 hard drives that I have...

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunnyMaybe it's the 8 hard drives that I have...

Whoa! That could indicate a need for a bigger PSU.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Nothinman

Right, because when you hit exit the program always does its job and unloads itself?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Right, because when you hit exit the program always does its job and unloads itself?

Sure, at least for me. And even if it does hang on exit it's usually a simple job to kill the process.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006

But I HAVE two PSU :)

A 700W Fortron is powering my main system and the single primary HDD. A 400W Aspire is jumped and powering just the remaining 7 HDDs.

JonMooring

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
AMAZING pictures. Sorry I can't contribute towards a solution, but I just wanted to say how amazing those photos are.

SingleAction

Jul 27, 2006
It could also be the hdd that the os is installed on going south, that's what happened to one wd drive, in one of my systems, and now it's happening to my wife's machine. If that's the case, reformat, and reinstall won't help for long, as you have found out! Do you hear clicking, strange sounds coming from any of your drives(louder then normal)?

Just replace it.

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006

A 700W Fortron is powering my main system and the single primary HDD. A 400W Aspire is jumped and powering just the remaining 7 HDDs.

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006

sounds like a hardware problem i would reseat all your cards and check all your cables and power connectors. Are you using any remvable drive trays. I had alot of interrmittent problem wth those

Bozo

Oct 22, 1999
Creative Sound Blaster cards are notorious for causing problems. Look for some upgraded drivers or check Creative's site for fixes.
This is definately not an XP problem.

Bozo

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Originally posted by: JonMooring
AMAZING pictures. Sorry I can't contribute towards a solution, but I just wanted to say how amazing those photos are.

I'll second that! You take some _really_ nice photos.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I have had windows behave in that manner, only when a hardware device has begun failing. Try removing/replacing the card before you re-format.