windows 98SE acting weird!

Peyton

Oct 18, 2001
Ok here is what it is doing,things seem to run fine except when I click on a link in a Email message it takes about 10-15 seconds for a window to open the link.Before it opened in a blink.Also when I go to start/help it says "cannot find file hh.exe or one of its components,make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are correct"?.
Ome last thing I noticed,today when I tried to run Disk defrag it wouldnt do anything,for 3 hours it stayed at 0%.So I started it in safe mode and it worked but took about 4 hours to complete.Normally about 30 mins.Last time I did it was last week.
I ran regclean the day before all this started but Im not sure that has any connection,even when I Undo regclean things still arent right.
Is there any way to reinstall missing files in win98se?I tried to make a start up disk also but it asks for win98se disk,then says it cant find the file on the cd?
Any clue guys,what gives?

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
have you run a full up to date virus scan on your system?
also suggest you check your windows/system folder to see if hh.exe is present & if not extract it from your win98 cd using the system file checker utility!

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
You should be able to re-install a copy of Windows over your current installation - that should restore the missing files - but you might still have problems with other things.

As bacillus said, try a virus scan and if you find anything I'd suggest a full format and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Peyton

Oct 18, 2001
I did a virus scan and it didnt find any thing.
I did notice my system resorcese were at 60%,so I checked my running programs and have like 15 programs running and only know what four of them are.If I close them all out except for systray and Explore the window In outlook opens normally in a second or two.
How do I find out what these things running down my resorses are and keep them from loading?
Here are my specs
ECS K7S5A w/on board LAN w/1200 athlon t-bird
512MB DDR Crucial
40 gig WD HDD
Windows 98SE
Gainward MX200 4 64MB
SOund Blaster live X-Gamer sound card
I am on Cox.net cable service
Thanks

Peyton

Oct 18, 2001
Ok I did a system file checker(start/run/sfc)and I am missing the mfc30.dll file,but I dont know what it is and it is not found on my installation disk.
Anyone have it and can email it to me?
Thanks,journiesdad@cox.net

Peyton

Oct 18, 2001
mfco30.dll,and mfcuia32.dll arer also corrupt.I did a find files search and found them on my HD and replaced the ones in my sytems folder,hope it worked.I reran the sfc and it didnt find any more corrupt files,ill restart and see what happens.
I guess i wont be running that regclean any more.

Peyton

Oct 18, 2001
Ok I fixed my own problem.Someone has been messing around in the windows folder and clicked on a bunch of exe files and those were what was running in programs.I went in and shut them down.wonder who did that :eek: .Not e to self,if it aint broke dont fix it.
Now Im running at 92% free resorses.(god I cant spell that word right today).