Windows 98 SE, still the best?

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
It's fast, stable, and did I say fast?

Not to mention:

M$:

Your computer is not vulnerable to the Blaster Worm if either of these conditions apply to you:

If you have already downloaded and installed the security update that was addressed by Security Bulletin MS03-026. The MS03-026 update will not be listed on Windows Update in this case.

If you are using Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), or Windows Millennium (Windows Me).

:cool:

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
Its not really that stable compared to NT based OS's.
Doesn't like over 512mb ram.
Bad memory management.
It is pretty fast though, and still a useful OS for gaming I s'pose.

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
I never had problems with my Win 9x machines either, quality of the build helps with stability of the OS. In any case, MS is going to be pulling support for the Win 9x OS soon (meaning security updates). Also, there may be problems obtaining driver support soon for hardware.

Flatline

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2001
I never liked Win98 very much, even when it was new. The closest I think I ever came to liking a Windows OS was Win2K; it's relatively stable (compared to Win9.x/ME it's a frigging rock) and at least it has a journaling file system.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Win 9x is like an old car. It breaks more often but it's a helluva lot easier to fix than a new one. :)

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not only has it not been the best since 2000 came out, but is now completely obsolete!!! So obsolete that new worms won't even exploit it!!!

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Windows ME is best OS since slice bread

If you truly believe that you either have an extremely limited/narrow view of the computing industry or your sliced bread is a lot worse than mine.

Atlechnik

Aug 23, 2003
Windows ME is best OS since slice bread[/quote]

You could think this, if you sliced bread with the dullest knife ever. ME is the worst OS ever,
it is completly unstable and nothing compared to XP or even 98. I would take 98 over ME any day.

MikeDub83

Apr 6, 2003
I can't believe there's no XP lovers in this thread. Windows XP is by far the best release of Windows to date. Windows 98 was nice for gaming, although unstable. Windows 2000 was stable but broke a lot of games. Windows ME just sucked hardcore. Windows XP is more stable than Windows 2000 and provides the same game playability as Windows 98. What is there not to love?

Note to Linux users: I have Linux running on my servers. Gentoo on the dual Athlon and Red Hat on the Cely. Unfortunately, Linux is not ready for desktop. Not because of the kernel devolpers- because of the game producers. There just aren't a lot of games made in ELF.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Sorry, Win98 sucks **s, plain and simple. Geeze, yesterday I was on a freind's win98 machine. Going back to that thing is like going back to the stone age. Unstable, slow, corrupts files, corrupts drivers, fragmented harddrive, BSOD's up the ying-yang, unusable and fragile registry, memory leaks from hell, incompatable networking, awkward user interface. Absolutely no style, substance, or purpose.

However it can download and install E-mail attachment-based viruses like the best of them. Hell, visiting the wrong website can crash it in no time flat.

It took me less then 15 seconds to crash it. Then I crashed it again. Then I crashed it again. Finally I got smart and booted it into dos mode, then it worked fine.

What was I trying to do?

Hack the registry? Install a game? Install a new video driver? Typing /null/null <enter> into the "start => run" box? Unleashing a 7 year old virus into the computer?

Nope.

Trying to "format a: /s" a floppy disk, but I suppose that's my fault for attempting to format a disk last formatted by a uncompatable 3rd party application. (OpenBSD boot disk created by the dd command in Linux)

GonzoDaGr8

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Windows 95: :disgust:

Windows 98: :)

Windows 2000: :D

Windows ME: :disgust:

Windows XP: :D
Couldn't have laid it out better myself..

GonzoDaGr8

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
It's fast, stable, and did I say fast?

Not to mention:

M$:

Your computer is not vulnerable to the Blaster Worm if either of these conditions apply to you:

If you have already downloaded and installed the security update that was addressed by Security Bulletin MS03-026. The MS03-026 update will not be listed on Windows Update in this case.

If you are using Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), or Windows Millennium (Windows Me).

:cool:
Fresh Prince...Is this actually a serious question?

poMONKey

Nov 11, 2002
98se is good for a testing environment ( OCs and the like )... a bunch of hardcore hardware pounding geeks still use it.

other than that, use xp already :p

Idoxash

Apr 30, 2001
I don't understand why so many ppl have stable problems with windows 98 se. When I had 98 on my system I left it on for months without crashes! I've done all kinds of stuff on this sytem, audio/video, gaming, casual stuff. The only reason I left 98 for xp is the simple fact that yes it's becoming hard to find drivers for 98 as well as updates. 98 is a good OS as long as it's install on a system with the right config. I've notice 98 seems to go crazy faster on sis and via chipsets.

It would be nice if 98 was bought from ms and turn into some odd lill open source project and remade in the same way but better. All thoe that won't ever happen well then again I'm sure enought cash would do it but the cash it take to do it would never be worth it.

--Idoxash